I’ve been making these chocolate peanut butter layer bars for a few months now. The original recipe is from Minimalist Baker but after making it several times following her recipe I was able to simplify it a bit to make the process work better for my style. I decided that I finally need to share the recipe on my own blog because after David made them two weeks ago and watching him follow Dana’s steps I realized he’d be much better off following my simplified version.
This recipe is actually very easy to make as long as you have a food processor. It’s basically just throwing in each ingredient one at a time and processing. Then a little layer action happens to create the most delicious snack. This could definitely be served as dessert as well. I tend to make them on Sunday’s before the work week starts so we have a stash of them to get us through our morning snacks at work. David has literally dubbed these as his favorite snack EVER. I feel like that says a lot because I’ve made some pretty delicious snack balls in the past. Unfortunately, those snack balls don’t really hold a candle to these beauties.
To be fair, it is hard to beat the delicious combination of chocolate and peanut butter. I’m always reminded of way more tasty Reeses Peanut Butter cups when I eat these. It’s nice to know that while these feel like an indulgence they are made with whole ingredients. Yay! For the most part David and I try to eat a paleo diet and while peanuts aren’t accepted as paleo, I’ve had food allergy testing done and found out that I have no intolerance to peanuts so bring on the PB!
If you make these snack bars just be warned that you may become addicted like David and I have. I’m not sure we’ll ever want a different snack again! They store very well in the freezer but I like to take them out a couple hours before enjoying. They also travel well for road trips. When we drove to Ojai last month we were happy to bring these along with us.
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1 cup dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup dates, pitted
- 1 cup peanuts
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (if using unsalted peanut butter)
- Line a 8x8" baking pan with plastic wrap. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor; pulse walnuts and almonds until a fine crumb forms. Add dates and cocoa powder and process until finely chopped. Drizzle in vanilla and continue processing until a ball forms or until you can press the mixture in between your fingers and it stays together. Remove brownie mixture from processor and press down into the bottom of the lined baking pan.
- For the peanut butter layer; process almonds until finely chopped. Add in dates and process until finely chopped. Add in peanuts until finely chopped. Add in peanut butter and process until a ball forms. Remove peanut butter mixture from food processor and layer/spread on top of the brownie layer. Press down. Fold plastic wrap over the top and place in the freezer for at least two hours. Remove from freezer and cut into squares and serve.
- These store well in the freezer for up to a couple weeks. Before eating remove from freezer and let come to room temp.