Tropical Nut Balls

by Kelli H. on March 16, 2015

tropical3I think this is the first time I’ve ever blogged on my lunch break, but here I am at my desk, eating my lunch and trying to find time to get this post up. I’ve had no time to blog when I’m at home. Friday night consisted of buying painting supplies at Home Depot, making salmon tacos, and drinking my favorite Hanna Sauv Blanc. After relaxing for a bit it was time to hit the hay. Saturday wasn’t much different and included taking Ryder to the vet, sanding down our master vanity, priming it, painting it a couple coats, grocery shopping, and relaxing shortly before starting all over again on Sunday. Sunday morning we cleaned our condo, I made these balls, we went back to the new house after a quick stop at the hardware store and started all over again with countless tasks on the house. My parents stopped by late Sunday afternoon and assisted with a couple projects before taking us out to dinner. Once home we were exhausted and there was no way I was coherent enough to produce anything worthy of posting.

tropical1

This time in our life of living at our condo and spending every weekend day at our new house will be coming to a close soon – thank god! Our condo closes on March 30th, so we have to move out the weekend before. It’s looking like we’ll be staying with my parents for a good two weeks before our hardwood floors will be finished. I’m telling you, the next 4 weeks can’t come soon enough.

tropical2I’d like to say that the weeks have been flying by, but somehow they really haven’t been. The weekends sure fly by because we’re go, go, go! but the weeks have been dragging on slowly. I know all the work we’re doing there will be done soon. I’m just SO looking forward to enjoying the hard work we’ve done there. Though, I’m sure even then I won’t be able to stop thinking about other projects that still need to happen while we live there; i.e. landscaping (STAT).

tropical3Besides constantly working on our house, I’ve been trying to still eat healthy. I’d be lying though if I didn’t include that we’ve been eating out more than I’d like on the weekends. Perhaps once we’re all settled we’ll think about doing another Whole30, but then again, we’ll probably want to enjoy our work with a beer on the couch in our new living room. I’m still cooking Monday-Friday practically all paleo meals and sticking to my way of healthy eating, which includes these 10 a.m. snack balls. I’m constantly coming up with new ideas for snack balls. These once came to me after I made the apricot almond balls. I love coconut and thought it’d be delicious to add some dried mango and pineapple to create a tropical taste. It totally worked because David and I love these. The pineapple rings are sweetened (unfortunately…) so the balls are plenty sweet. I may have processed these nut balls a tad too long because they were a tad oily in my warm fingers, but it’s just the natural oils from the nuts, so no need to be grossed out by them! David said the texture reminded him of cookie dough (if you process them too long). I hope you’re not getting tired of these type of snack ball recipes because I have another one in mind for next week! Happy Monday!

Tropical Snack Balls
Ingredients
  1. 1 cup almonds
  2. 1/2 cup cashews
  3. 1/2 cup dried mango, torn into pieces
  4. 1/2 cup dried pineapple, torn into pieces
  5. 1/2 cup coconut flakes
  6. 1/4 teaspoon salt
  7. 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  8. 1-2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
Instructions
  1. In a food processor; dump in almonds and cashews. Pulse until finely chopped.
  2. Add in mango, pineapple, coconut, salt, vanilla, and 1 tablespoon citrus juice. Process ingredients until it comes together to almost form a ball. You may need to add an additional tablespoon of citrus juice.
  3. Measure out 1 tablespoon balls and line on a baking sheet. Freeze for at least an hour before serving.
Notes
  1. Lasts in freezer in a ziplock bag for up to a couple weeks.
  2. While rolling out balls they may be very oily due to how long you need to process them.
  3. Makes about 15 balls.
Made In Sonoma http://www.madeinsonoma.com/

jen @nutcaseinpoint March 16, 2015 at 1:55 pm

Oh man, I hear you on all the home reno stuff. At least there is some time you can still live in your condo and maintain a bit of normalcy while getting stuff done at the house. We had to live IN it for almost a year and I’m surprised we’re both still alive…and married. haha
The best part will be knowing all the work you guys put into it and that it’s YOURS. 🙂
PS: I want to make these balls.

Kelli H. March 16, 2015 at 9:37 pm

haha, that’s true, not living IN the house during the reno is much better. Home renovations are so hard but ultimately worth it. 🙂

Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness March 16, 2015 at 4:23 pm

It sounds like you’ve been busy, busy with all of the house work! Since becoming a homeowner, I feel like there are ALWAYS things to do… it never ends, but at least it’s yours right?! Last weekend my hubby and I were at Home Depot too – this time we were picking out an exterior paint color, which is something we’ll hopefully tackle soon!

I love nut balls like this. I need to make another batch of my recently posted almond butter date truffles. They were so yummy and great to have on-hand for when I was starving and needed a little something while figuring out a meal to throw together!

Kelli H. March 16, 2015 at 9:36 pm

That is true…there will always be projects to do around a house! It’s never ending. haha. I hope soon I can just enjoy the house full time and work a little less on it. A new exterior paint color sounds exciting. 🙂 Those balls you made looked delicious. I love little snack balls! I’ve been making them for months now.

Jane March 16, 2015 at 9:50 pm

I keep bookmarking these to make, and need to do it! Next weekend, I am going to do it, so I have some snacks to bring up to Sac!

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health March 17, 2015 at 1:19 pm

You should be proud of yourself for still cooking as much as you are with all that you’ve got going on! I’m sure it’s stressful to manage everything but it will all be worth it when you’re settled in your new place.

I love the tropical flavors in these nut balls! They’d be perfect for a hike or a nice long day at the beach. 🙂

Meghan March 17, 2015 at 3:11 pm

Congrats on a quick sale! I hope that the time goes quickly before you can move in. I remember last year being back and forth between our condo and house, and it was exhausting!

Kelli H. March 17, 2015 at 3:31 pm

It is! You must know exactly what I am talking about. haha.

Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel March 17, 2015 at 3:43 pm

I’m in love with these and the ingredients you used. Looks super tasty! Happy St. Patrick’s Day to you!

Kelli H. March 17, 2015 at 4:08 pm

Thanks, Kelsey. Happy St. Patrick’s Day to you, too!

Annie @ Natural Sweet Recipes March 18, 2015 at 11:12 am

I know how you feel about not having time to blog at home! Life gets busy but way to go for multitasking and getting this post I up. I am soooo glad you did because I am going to make these this week!! They don’t have any added sweeteners, so I am all over these this week! They sound sooo delicious and the perfect welcome to warmer flavors.

Amber @ Dessert Now, Dinner Later! March 21, 2015 at 8:35 am

Wow! I love how simple, delicious, and healthy these look!

Diane @ Life of Di. March 23, 2015 at 11:43 am

Yum! What a perfect snack for spring/summer 🙂 I LOVE coconut. One of my favorite flavors. Also, I can relate to not being able to blog at home. We don’t really have any house projects going on but it’s just hard to sit down and write a thoughtful post when Charlotte is awake (and when she is sleeping I have other things to get done!)