Salmon Tacos with Jalapeño Cilantro Slaw

by Kelli H. on February 5, 2015

salmon2This week we closed on our new house. It’s official, we’re moving and I have to let the world know how excited I am to be moving. David and I have been living in a 2 bedroom 1 bathroom condo for the last 5 years. When we bought this condo we loved it. We had hearts in our eyes, like the little emoticon, but that was when we were twenty-two. For a twenty-two year old, where we live is pretty sweet, but for a husband and wife who are closer to thirty now, we’re both more than ready to get the heck out of this 924 square foot condo.

There have been many great memories where we live now, including adopting Ryder and of course getting married, but most of the memories are nights at home cooking in our small kitchen, watching movies together in the living room, or having our friends over for dinners. We’re so excited to have more room at the new house to continue entertaining and hopefully do it more often! One benefit of the new house is the large kitchen. I’m so excited to have more room to cook and spread out. I’m also looking forward to Ryder finding new spots to lay down that won’t block our recycle or the dishwasher or the sink.

salmon1One recipe I’d definitely consider serving at our new house for entertaining would be these salmon tacos. I’m not sure why I hadn’t thought of making salmon tacos sooner considering my dad always shares his fresh wild-caught Alaskan salmon. Salmon tacos are my favorite way to eat salmon these days, by far. By sooooo much far!

They take hardly any time to make at all which is always important to me. I even made these last week right after getting home and getting ready to leave for our Truckee trip. I’d say they take about 20-25 minutes from start to finish. Not bad for some gourmet looking and tasting tacos.

While the salmon is baking in the oven, work on your jalapeño cilantro slaw. It doesn’t take long for those zesty flavors to stick to the cabbage which is perfect for quick cooking recipes. I also love the flavor of goat cheese on these tacos. We’ve tried feta and it just doesn’t work the same. Feel free to add queso fresco but that’s just not something I buy often.

salmon3I’m pretty sure these babies will be on our weekly dinner menu twice a month until my dad runs out of salmon. Hopefully by that time he’ll make his way back up to Alaska and catch some more! I know I don’t want to go too long without these delicious tacos.

Salmon Tacos with Jalapeño Cilantro Slaw
Delicious fish tacos bursting with fresh flavors. Super easy to prepare. Serves 2-4, depending on how many tacos per person.
Ingredients
  10. 2 garlic cloves, minced
  11. 1/4 cup olive or avocado oil
  12. 1 lime, juiced
  13. 8 corn tortillas
  14. Garnish: lime slices, cilantro, goat cheese crumbles
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Rub salmon with mixture of chili powder, paprika, cumin, and salt. Bake in oven for 12-15 or until cooked. Remove from oven, flake fish onto a plate.
  2. In a large bowl; mix together cabbage and green onions.
  3. In a small bowl; mix together jalapeño, cilantro, garlic, and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over cabbage and green onions and mix to combine.
  4. Heat tortillas over a flame until lightly browned. Repeat until all tortillas are cooked. If you prefer, heat tortillas in an oven or microwave.
  5. Assemble tacos by filling a tortilla with salmon, topped with slaw, and goat cheese. Squeeze on some fresh lime and a sprinkle of cilantro.
Made In Sonoma http://www.madeinsonoma.com/

Diane @ Life of Di. February 5, 2015 at 7:42 am

Another tasty recipe! 🙂

Congrats again on your new house! Such an exciting time. Marty bought our house a few months before we were married and, although we were together when he bought it, I still don’t feel like it was my first house purchase. I think our next house will feel more like a mutual agreement! 🙂 Enjoy that large kitchen!! That’s one of my must-haves for our next place (oh, and a backyard for Roscoe!)

David W. February 5, 2015 at 10:31 am

Yayyyyyy for our new house!!! Can’t wait to have more room in the kitchen, and an island! 🙂
These tacos are amazing, and we should have them every week!

Jane February 5, 2015 at 11:13 am

I have a NEED now for fish tacos. A need I say!

Trish @ Well Worn Fork February 5, 2015 at 11:43 am

I could go for these salmon tacos NOW!!

Rose February 5, 2015 at 12:06 pm

These look great! Though, if I’m being honest, you had me at the word “taco.”

Kelli H. February 5, 2015 at 12:25 pm

haha, that usually gets me, too.

Janet February 5, 2015 at 2:22 pm

Guess I’ll have to take my salmon out of the freezer and try these, yum

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health February 6, 2015 at 11:44 am

Congrats on the new place!! I’m so happy for you guys. You better show us some pictures soon!

These tacos though. I have a soft spot for fish tacos and I love the idea of using salmon. Plus that slaw? Oh lawdy. Ima have to make these when the man leaves town. 😉

Happy weekend, Kelli!

Meghan February 6, 2015 at 11:52 am

Yay and congratulations on the new house! I was reluctant to sell our condo and buy our current house, just because of the memories, but you will LOVE having more space!
I am on a salmon kick, so this recipe is perfect.

Kelli H. February 6, 2015 at 3:06 pm

I can’t wait for the extra space! Hopefully we can get the paint and new floors done ASAP so we can move in!

Giselle February 6, 2015 at 4:31 pm

I LOVE fish tacos but for some reason always forget to make them with salmon. We made some with fresh Ahi tuna last week while in Hawaii and they were amazing!

Kelli H. February 6, 2015 at 6:03 pm

MMM…Ahi is so delicious! Any fish in Hawaii usually is! 🙂

Shellie February 7, 2015 at 8:00 am

Hmmmm wonder why your dad never game me any Salmon? lol
I love salmon tacos, these sound so good, that they are on my menu for tonight!

Kelli H. February 7, 2015 at 8:18 am

Yay! Hope you like them! I’m making them tonight, too! haha.

sonia the mexigarian February 12, 2015 at 11:00 am

These look good! I’ve slowly been getting into salmon again since I can’t eat my beloved tuna. And I love fish tacos anyways so this would be perfect to have as a light dinner. I’m not a fan of jalapenos though, but I’m sure I can find another slaw to work with. thanks for the recipe!

And congrats again on the new house!! Will we be seeing a few pictures of the new abode?

Kelli H. February 12, 2015 at 11:33 am

Thanks, Sonia! I will probably be posting some photos of before and afters because it’s a bit of a fixer-upper. We’re tearing out all the flooring this weekend! I’m a little nervous for all the work it entails…wish us luck!

Annie @ Natural Sweet Recipes February 12, 2015 at 4:01 pm

YUM!!! I am one of those people that loves jalapeno and cilantro. My mom doesn’t understand where I came from because she doesn’t like spicy food and cilantro tastes like soap to her… but I love it in all Mexican inspired food. It sounds great with the salmon and your pictures make it look sooo amazing!

Kelli H. February 12, 2015 at 8:22 pm

haha, my mom isn’t a spicy food fan either but she does love cilantro. It’s so strange to me that people taste soap in cilantro. It’s by far my favorite herb.