Radio Silence

by Kelli H. on February 16, 2015


I haven’t been too present on this little space of mine. Sorry for the radio silence over the last week. I’m sure there is more silence to come in the next coming weeks/month(?). When I’m not at work, I’m trying to fit in working out, making dinners, preparing our condo to put up on the market (hopefully by the end of this week!), and picking out everything for our new house. It’s made time management a little more difficult. Some aspects have had to fall by the wayside. Hence, probably only going to be sharing brew reviews for a while. It’s what I usually have a back log of for posts. I know the brew reviews aren’t the most exciting content, and it’s always a pet peeve of mine when I have two brew review posts in a row. SO, let me apologize in advance if that happens, because it very well might happen. 

I don’t have many photos to share of the updates happening at our new house, but I can explain all the things we’ve been working on. Last week my brother was under our house fixing a failed support pier and then we had a 5 man crew in the backyard putting in new piping and drains to redirect rain water from the middle of our backyard/under the house to the front of the house and drain properly into the streets. I thought it was a huge project, but my brother assured me it was a “small job”. HA! Yah, maybe to him…


On Saturday David and I got up early, went to the new house and met my mom, David’s mom, his grandpa, grandma, brother, and my dad at our house. We spent the whole day from 9 a.m. to about 5:30 p.m. ripping out two different tiles that covered most of the downstairs as well as ripping up 4 shades of carpet. I have no idea how or why the house we bought had so many different types of flooring. David’s grandpa helped him learn how to build a fence by repairing a section in our backyard that had fallen over the first weekend we bought it. Totally appropriate, right? Buy a house, fence falls over? Seems about right to me…haha. We went to bed at 8:55 on Saturday. So much for Valentine’s Day. We don’t usually celebrate anyway. Plus, it was kind of an amazing day to get so much work done. Though, it left us incredibly sore. 


Sunday morning we were up early again. We hit up Safeway to grab sandwich making supplies and met my dad at the new house with a fresh emptied trailer for more debris. Our friends Michelle and Colin met us over there to help finish ripping out the remaining tile. Justin, David’s brother also met us there to help. We were so tired and sore from Saturday’s work that it was wonderful having Michelle and Colin’s help. Michelle and I took bucket loads of cracked tile out to the front of the house and then spent the majority of the time taking up old nails and staples from the flooring. David’s mom also met us back there for a few more hours or work and ripping up one last bit of carpet. I pulled so many nails/staples that I have the largest blister on my right hand middle finger that I’ve ever seen. Again, we went to bed pretty early Sunday night. 


Waking up this morning was super hard. Our bodies are aching from all the labor over the last two days. Today we focused on ordering our flooring for the downstairs, picking out which carpet to go with for the upstairs, and deciding on a paint color. The paint color has proven the most difficult. Five samples later and multiple painted spots on our walls and we’re still undecided. We’re hoping to pick up a lighter color tomorrow. David also went under the house to tighten up some more piers, pick up nasty trash from under there (why do people throw trash under their house?! Who does that?), and tighten up our stove vent. 

Each day of the weekend was jam packed. I have no idea how I managed to make sure we had food for each meal or have time to do a meal plan for the week and go to Whole Foods. I’m trying hard not to let our diet go to the wayside. Working out has definitely been put on the back burner for me, but I did workout twice last week, did yoga 5 days, and that’s on top of doing tons of manual labor. I just hope this week I can do a little more. By the way, my hands are SO damn sore. I didn’t know it was possible to have sore hands. They are so sore it hurts to squeeze a sponge. How pathetic is that?! haha. 

David and I have learned a lot over the last weekend. We now know how to rip out tons of different flooring, remove vanities, remove a toilet, tighten piers, repair a fence, and I’m sure there is more I’m forgetting. What I won’t forget is all the support from our friends and family that helped us this weekend. We seriously couldn’t have done it without them. It’s amazing feeling so supported by loved ones. Sometimes you only really see/feel that support at big events in your life, like graduations, weddings, and now even buying a home. I’ll forever have memories of my mom, mother-in-law, and I with the most ridiculous sweaty hair covered in nasty dust. I’ll remember Michelle and I sitting on the subfloors prying out nails and staples while drinking a beer. I’ll remember Colin’s handy work around the tile by our fireplace, and Justin saying he had “sweat in his eyes”. I’ll remember David’s Grandma, Sandy, sitting on a crate in flip flops pulling out staples in our living room. I’ll remember my dad running out and buying any and all the tools we needed (which was a lot!). Of course, I’ll remember how sore and tired David and I were, and how excited we are to make this our new home. It’s pretty amazing how many memories you can make in one weekend. 

With all that said, I can’t wait to have our house painted and new floors installed. We’re so ready to make this new house our home. 

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

David W. February 17, 2015 at 8:16 am

Hey! I love the brew reviews! šŸ™‚
Also, wow, I can’t believe we did SO MUCH work this weekend. It’s amazing what you can get done in 3 full days with lots of help. lol. So happy we’re making all this progress and we’re going to get our floors and paint done soon! Final steps before we can move in! Yayyyyyyyyyyyy! šŸ™‚


Eric W February 17, 2015 at 8:35 am

AWESOME! Glad to see the house is coming along! We need more recipes though please. We are starving out here.


Kelli H. February 17, 2015 at 11:31 am

I hope to bring you more recipes ASAP!


Josie February 17, 2015 at 10:48 am

Wow, so much excitement! And I for one love the brew reviews! Can’t wait to see more progress šŸ™‚


Kelli H. February 17, 2015 at 11:31 am

Thanks, Josie! Happy to hear you like the brew reviews.


Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health February 17, 2015 at 1:51 pm

Um yeah, I definitely wouldn’t call that a small job either! Holy smokes! You’ve got your hands full.

Don’t worry about putting blogging on the back burner for a while. We’ll still be here! As long as you keep showing us fun progress pics of your new house, I’m happy. šŸ™‚


Jane February 18, 2015 at 8:25 pm

Your house is going to be so great once it’s done and all the hard work is going to feel so worth it I am sure! How very exciting!


Diane @ Life of Di. February 20, 2015 at 8:39 am

I love that the house project has become a family affair šŸ™‚ So fun that you can do it together. Definitely a bonding experience. I also think putting a house together is definitely a relationship builder. When Marty and I redid all the hardwood floors in our house + painted all the rooms it made us see sides of one another we hadn’t yet experienced. I’d say it was mostly pleasant but it’s hard work!! We were so delusional by the end of each day! You’ll definitely have to upload some pictures of the finished product. Can’t wait to see šŸ™‚


Kelli H. February 20, 2015 at 8:43 am

haha, yeah, we definitely were feeling delusional as well! I’ll try to post some before and after photos when it’s all done.


Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: