I Hate Cancer

by Kelli H. on February 26, 2015

Lexi1

In December 2007 David and I found a puppy online. My family had been throwing around the idea of adding another dog to our family. Our black lab, Luna had passed away a year earlier and we felt Bearin, our other dog needed a new companion. That’s when the search for Lexi began. We originally wanted Lexi’s sister who looked more like a true doberman, but when we called on the two puppies, her sister was already adopted. They asked if we’d be interested in the other puppy. We were, though we were unsure of her darker colors. We decided we could live with her darker colors — thank god! In order to adopt Lexi we had to drive to Placerville with Bearin on a weeknight to make sure they thought our dog would get along with a new puppy. We were a bit nervous because Bearin wasn’t always the most friendly towards other dogs. I remember driving to Placerville in the Expedition and we hit traffic that afternoon. We were worried we wouldn’t make it in time. We arrived late but they stayed open for us to see her.

Lexi2

Lexi was the cutest puppy I’d seen. She had the longest legs and was a total sweetheart. We were in love with her from the moment we met her. Luckily Bearin passed the test and we were going to be able to adopt her. One problem was she wasn’t spayed yet and they wouldn’t let us take her until after the procedure. Meaning we had to drive back to Placerville that weekend to pick her up. She was worth the drive!

Lexi3

Once we picked her up, we put her in her crate with a huge bed in it, filled with toys and bones. From that day forward Lexi was my little baby girl. She threw up on the way home and eventually chewed that bed to pieces. Oh man, she chewed up so many beds. Too many to count! As well as countless shoes…she was such a chewer, but like all puppies, she did eventually grow out of it. She was unnamed for longer than I’d like to admit. Lexi was almost Zoe but we told my mom that sounded like the drug Zoloft. Lexi it was and for good reason since she has such sexy legs.

Lexi4

David and I took Lexi under our wings and raised her like our own. She was the family dog for sure, but we took her to training with my mom, and she slept in my bed with me every night. She even slept with her head on my pillow, like a human. She was the only dog I’ve had that has ever slept in the bed with me. It was hard moving out and not having her in the same house anymore. I eventually got used to it, but she’ll always be my little baby girl.

Lexi6

Last week Lexi had a tumor removed from her chest. We didn’t think much of this growth but finally my mom took her in. Originally the vet thought it was a wart and would be easy to remove. After the surgery we were told that it was not a wart and that it was a pretty intense tumor. They were sending it out for biopsy. We waited for the results to tell us if it was just a tumor or if it had spread throughout her body. Her wound hasn’t been healing well at all. We got the call last night that it had in fact spread throughout her body. The vet said she had a high end mast cell tumor and that on average she’d live another 4 months.

Lexi7

We are absolutely devastated.

Lexi8

We’re not proceeding with chemotherapy as the vet suggested it would not extend her life and would cause her more pain. Instead we’re going to try to prolong her life with Eastern medicine. Using herbs, making her organic homemade food, and really focusing on her quality of life.

Lexi9

Lexi is only seven years old. I imagined she’d live at least another 5 years. It breaks my heart to know I’m not going to get those extra years with her. I really really hate cancer. All I want to do is give her as much love as possible and soak in extra time with her. If you’ve ever met Lexi then you know she is a sweetheart. She’s always been cautious of men but in the last few weeks she seems to be warming up to them. She loves to lick peoples faces but if you won’t allow her to (like me) she’ll just lick the air around your face and hope to get one lick in by chance.

Lexi10

Ryder adores Lexi. He used to lay on top of her and chew on her neck. She would “protect” Ryder from our old dog, Liberty. Lexi took Ryder under her arm and has been a sister to him. I’m so sad we won’t have more time with her, but we’re going to make the best of it. Lexi is still acting her normal self so there are still many walks and runs in her future. We’re keeping her in the office with us while her wound heals and she’s loving that she gets to spend all day inside with us.

Lexi11

Life is precious, even an animals. Give your animal an extra hug or kiss x 1,000,000! You never know how long you’ll have with them. My heart is hurting right now, but I’m thankful for the remaining time we do have together.

Annie @ Natural Sweet Recipes February 26, 2015 at 10:57 pm

Kelli, I’m so sorry to hear this! Poor Lexi. It breaks my heart to hear how cancer reaches these sweet dogs. She’s a beautiful dog and so young! Cancer is just not fair. I am really impressed the efforts you’re taking to help her and I bet she is so grateful. Her life may not be as long as you’d have liked, but you guys are giving her the best life and family any dog could hope for!! Best wishes to all of you.

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health February 26, 2015 at 11:07 pm

Aw, Kelli, I’m in tears reading this. I’m so sorry to hear about Lexi. She is so young. It breaks my heart. I know that you and your family have given her an amazing life and will continue to do for the time she has left.

I can’t even begin to imagine how hard this is for you but you’re in my thoughts. And I’ll be sure to give Miss Coco a big hug and kiss in Lexi’s honor. xoxo

Samantha February 27, 2015 at 7:06 am

:'( I’m so sorry Kelli! She really is a great dog!

Jane February 27, 2015 at 7:55 am

Poor little Lexi. I am so sorry Kelli! What a beautiful post for such a beautiful pet. Sending lots of of love her way!

Janet February 27, 2015 at 8:27 am

Your mom called me yesterday and told me about Lexi, I feel so bad for her, she’s one of the sweetest dogs I’ve ever met. I pray the Eastern Medicine will work for her.
DOGS are the BEST!

Theresa February 27, 2015 at 9:33 am

I’m so sorry, I can’t imagine. I tear up just thinking about Louis getting older. Animals are family, I’m so sorry poor Lexi is sick, but happy she has such a loving family to spoil her and make her as comfortable as possible. She’s such a beautiful pup with such a sweet face. I hate cancer, too.

Kellie February 27, 2015 at 3:39 pm

Hi Kelli,
I’m so sorry to hear about Lexi! Cancer sucks, and takes our loved ones away way to early. My heart goes out to you guys. (hugs)

Shellie February 27, 2015 at 6:36 pm

I am sick to my stomach to hear this news and Lexi has such a special place in my heart. Bearin was the backpacking king but when Lexi took over for Bearin after he passed, she made sure we all were together and safe…just like Bearin did. She has been around for so many events in our lives that, it’s to hard to imagine them without her. I know your mom will find the right herbs to help her have more time with you all and the rest of the family. She is in my thoughts every day and in my prayers at night.
Love you sexy Lexi!!!

Diane @ Life of Di. February 28, 2015 at 3:39 pm

Oh no! I’m so sorry to hear this. Cancer really is the worst – even with animals (they really do become members of the family.) Thinking of you guys <3

Heather @ Hanging Out With The Moons March 2, 2015 at 9:22 pm

I’m so sorry to hear about your dog. We have a 9 year old dog and she is my soulmate! Dogs are such a big part of our family and lives. You have a good attitude to enjoy every minute with her though.

Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness March 7, 2015 at 7:06 pm

Oh, I’m so sorry to hear this. Lexi sounds like a wonderful pup. I hope that she stays with you longer than you’ve been told to expect, and that her time left on this earth is peaceful and happy. Dogs really become such a big part of our families… When my family’s black lab died a bit over a year ago, my parents were devastated. It was the only time in my adult life that I’ve seen my dad cry 🙁 My dog is my little girlfriend and I’m so thankful to have her in my life. I’ll be giving her some extra love tonight after reading this!

Max April 1, 2015 at 3:43 pm

Dang guys, I’m really sad now. I hope Lexi is still doing okay and that you get to spend a lot more good time with her. I really enjoyed hearing her story and seeing her pictures (especially as a puppy, and the one with Ryder laying on her, lol!).

Kelli H. April 1, 2015 at 6:21 pm

Thanks, Max!! She’s still doing well right now. 🙂 Just trying to spend as much time with her as we can. She’s getting lots of extra love and walks.