Remember last week when I talked about what I’d been eating since finishing Whole30? This recipe is totally not the norm of what we’ve been eating. While we do indulge once in a while, we hadn’t made pizza at home in months. Not even a paleo pizza which I don’t think I’d be too into. I used to make pizza at home at least every month. When David mentioned that we should make homemade pizza two Saturday’s ago, I was happy to oblige.
Since we were set on making pizza at home and it was such a treat, I had no idea what I should make. I had so many ideas racing through my head of different toppings. When I asked David what he wanted he mentioned we should make Buffalo Chicken Pizza. I was sold. Lately he’s been on a buffalo chicken kick and I can’t say I blame him. I love the spicy flavor mixed with the cooling tangy flavor of blue cheese.
This pizza didn’t require many ingredients which is always a bonus in my book. I thought about adding a blue cheese dressing as the base but then I went against that idea since I didn’t really think it needed it. I was right. I’m a firm believer in less ingredients the better. No need to weigh it down with extras.
Once it came outta the oven, we could hardly contain ourselves. We were so giddy over this homemade pizza. It smelled fantastic! Plus, it looked so freaking delicious. We ended up eating almost the whole thing that night. We didn’t even have a side salad, we just totally and completely indulged on pizza. I think since we’d gone months without homemade pizza that it was extra special. We were acting like it was the best pizza we’d ever eaten. That’s saying a lot too since David doesn’t even like celery. I think he’s getting over his celery phobia, but when he saw I had put celery on it, let’s just say he was less than enthused. Later he admitted that it was totally fine, and he’d even keep the celery next time.
This pizza might not look like much but please believe me when I say it’s definitely the best buffalo chicken pizza David and I have ever tasted. It’s not so spicy that the buffalo sauce is the only flavor but it’s definitely the most prominent. It’s not the fanciest or healthiest pizza but when you need an at home date night splurge this should be on your menu. You won’t regret it!
- 1 pizza dough
- 1 pound shredded chicken
- 1/4-1/3 cup Franks Buffalo Wings Hot Sauce, depending on how much spice you like
- 8 oz mozzarella, shredded
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Preheat oven and pizza stone (if using) to 500 degrees. Remove stone from oven when ready to make pizza. Sprinkle some cornmeal/flour onto stone or baking sheet. Roll out dough.
- Mix shredded chicken and hot sauce to a bowl and combine. Top pizza dough with mozzarella, shredded spicy chicken, celery, onions, and blue cheese. Bake for 12-15 minutes depending on your oven. Let sit a couple minutes before cutting. Sprinkle on more hot sauce if desired.
- I used 1 pound chicken thighs, poached them, and shredded them. Rotisserie chicken would also be delicious.
- I always use Pioneer Woman's pizza dough, but feel free to buy an already prepared dough.