Curry-Spiced Hummus

by Kelli H. on January 17, 2014

Another new semester of school for David this week, but it’s not just any new semester, it’s his last semester! Yay! It seems like a dream come true that he’s finishing come May. I have posts dating back to Summer 2011 talking about him taking summer classes. I remember when he got his acceptance e-mail at work! How exciting it was. Then he started going to SSU full time and homework and studying took up the majority of his free time. Life has been filled with way too many semesters, and we’re so happy it’s coming to an end. There is light at the end of the tunnel!

Of course, with his new semester starting that means back to making more hummus recipes. It sure does seem like my blog is featuring an influx of appetizer recipes lately…two in one week? Who am I? At least I’m giving you plenty of ideas for the Super Bowl, right?

I’m glad that David enjoys eating broccoli and hummus so much for snacks during the week. I always love coming up with new hummus ideas, but it’s also nice when there’s one he really likes so that I can just keep repeating it. It’s so easy that way too. This hummus has such good flavor. The curry spiciness isn’t too hot or anything, but it has a great deep flavor which I really enjoy. This hummus is super easy to make, as most hummus recipes are. It’s great with fresh veggies but some naan with this would take it over the top! Enjoy!

Curry-Spiced Hummus
Inspired by Heather’s Dish

1 (15 oz) can garbanzo beans, drained & rinsed
2 garlic cloves, peeled
2 tablespoons tahini
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
smoked paprika for garnish

1. In the bowl of a food processor; pulse garlic until chopped. Add in beans, curry powder, cumin, salt, and lemon juice. Stream in olive oil and process until smooth. You can also add in some water for your desired consistency or more olive oil. I ended up adding in 3 tablespoons water to reach a consistency I really liked. Remove from food processor and serve with fresh veggies or pita chips.

birdie to be January 17, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Yum! This sounds delish! I am always looking for new ways to spice up homemade hummus.

Tara Condell January 17, 2014 at 5:34 pm

It always seems like the semesters never end, I am stuck in the same boat right now. What is he studying?

Made in Sonoma January 17, 2014 at 5:35 pm

Computer Science

Alysia Lowe January 17, 2014 at 6:51 pm

So delicious! I made my own hummus the other day since I just got a food processor 🙂 love it

Made in Sonoma January 20, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Food processors are the best! I use mine every single week.

Sarah Cook January 17, 2014 at 7:57 pm

I can’t completely relate to how you’re feeling right now. Brandon just finished his Phd last year and his graduation was one of the best moments of my life!! Because I was happy for him but also because it meant having a life (outside of college football games) finally.
That’s exciting that it’s so close for you. 🙂

I’m a hummus fiend and this one looks incredible!

Made in Sonoma January 20, 2014 at 3:18 pm

haha, yeah, I think it might be one of the best days of my life too! and, his of course.. 🙂

Sarah Cook January 17, 2014 at 7:57 pm

*can relate 🙂

Marin mama cooks January 20, 2014 at 4:35 am

Congrats to David that he’s almost done! How nice it’s going to be to have your hubby back and for him not to have all that homework! I’m sure you both were chowing away on this dip while watching the big game today. I on the other hand didn’t watch the game. Lame! I’m just not a big football or sports person unless my kids are playing of course, then I totally get into the game 🙂
I love that this hummus has a bit of a kick to it with the curry. I bet it woudl be great mixed in with some quinoa. That’s my new thing, taking dips and mixing them in with quinoa for some flavor 🙂 xoxo, Jackie

Made in Sonoma January 20, 2014 at 3:17 pm

I used to not be into football either, but once David started watching the games it was kind of inevitable to not watch a few. Now it’s just fun to get together w/ friends or family and watch the games, but I definitely don’t watch every single game.

This would be so delicious if you water the hummus down a little and mixed it with quinoa — yum!

themexigarian January 27, 2014 at 6:10 pm

this sounds yummy! i never thought about putting curry in hummus. i generally stick the the fire roasted tomatoes or regular hummus. i’ll give this recipe a whirl!

yay for being the last semester!

Made in Sonoma January 27, 2014 at 6:55 pm

I’ve been making a sun dried tomato hummus that’s my favorite one right now. I’ll have to share it soon!