Baked Olive Scallion Dip

by Kelli H. on January 13, 2014

I’m SUPER happy to report that the Niners won their game yesterday! I made this appetizer two weeks ago for the Niners game, and I’m finally getting around to posting it. I try to make something to snack on each week during the game, and this one was delicious!

I originally got the idea of this appetizer from Simply Scratch. I love her detailed pictures and recipes. I changed a few things to her original recipe, for example rather than using cream cheese I used Neufchatel cheese because it’s practically cream cheese with 1/3 the fat. That’s a win-win to me. I like to sub it any time a recipe calls for cream cheese.

This might be weird, but I only recently started liking green olives. They are so salty and bitter that as a kid I hated them. Only black olives for this girl, but recently I’ve been trying to accept them, because I really don’t like to be a picky eater. I’m happy to report that they are pretty good…yup, I think green olives are tasty!  Especially when they are mixed with my beloved black olives and lots and lots of cheese.

This dip reminded me of one of my all time favorite appetizer recipes; Artichoke Dip, but with olives! The original recipe isn’t baked, but once I’d mixed all the ingredients together and tried it, I just wasn’t that into it. So, into the oven it went, and you know what? It’s freaking delicious! Creamy, salty, and browned cheese on top doesn’t get better than that.

This is a very simple appetizer to make since it doesn’t require a food processor or anything. It required the most basic cooking tools. Make this for your Super Bowl party or bring it to any get together you attend. I’m sure it’ll be completely consumed. As Laurie suggests serve it with some Triscuts! It’s soooo good! I wish I had some more left.

Baked Olive Scallion Dip
Inspired by Simply Scratch

1 (8 oz) package Nufenchel cheese, softened
3/4 cup mayonnaise
3 scallions, chopped
3/4 cup Spanish green olives with pimentos, chopped
1/2 cup black olives, chopped
6 oz jack cheese, shredded

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. In a large bowl; combine Nufenchel cheese, mayonnaise, scallions, green and black olives, and almost all the jack cheese. Leave a little jack cheese to top the dish. Spread dip into a small baking dish and top with the remaining jack cheese. Bake for 25 minutes. If desired turn on the broiler and broil for 2 minutes to get it a little browned on top. Remove from oven and dip with your favorite chip.

Marin mama cooks January 13, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Hi Kelli! Sorry I’ve been MIA! Life has been crazy lately and I’m starting my new job this week which is going to be even crazier, but I’m going to set my intention for balance and strive for that.:) It seems like you’ve been cooking up a storm lately! So proud of you. I don’t know how you do it with working full-time and such, but I guess once you get used ot it, you just do it, right?
I love green olives, espically those smaller ones, I can’t remember the name of them, but they’re my favorite. Thanks for the great tip regarding Neufchatel cheese. I actually never even knew what the Neufchatel cheese was, but now I know!
I love cheesy dips like this, so good and I’m sure such a crowd pleaser, espically with a football loving crowd! Have a great week girl! xoxo,Jackie

Made in Sonoma January 13, 2014 at 7:52 pm

It is hard to cook so much and work full-time, but like you said, it’s all about balance. Whatever is important to you, you make time for it. I try to blog mostly on the weekends to be able to get better lighting, but it’s a struggle most weeks. You’ll figure out how to balance it all quickly! Thinking of you and good luck at the new job!

Becky @ Olives n Wine January 13, 2014 at 6:37 pm

Yum!! I’m alllll about all things olives (obviously…) and I’m so happy you’ve turned the corner with the green variety ;) This dip would be perfect for the Super Bowl!

Made in Sonoma January 13, 2014 at 7:50 pm

I’m glad you noticed this recipes since it is perfect for you! :)

helloandgo January 13, 2014 at 9:30 pm

This dip looks cheesy and delicious! It’s definitely fun to try new recipes for games, and I love reading about which ones you choose!

katie January 13, 2014 at 11:36 pm

I have always been an olive lover.. But I was the same way, black olives only for a long time. Now I love ‘em all! This dip sounds delish!

Tara Condell January 14, 2014 at 7:34 pm

I will be looking for that cheese next time I am grocery shopping! Can we talk about how awesome that game was?! I was traveling but kept up with the score the whole time on my iPhone. Next week will be ca-raaaazy!

This might be our year!

Made in Sonoma January 14, 2014 at 9:28 pm

I KNOW! I’m so nervous for Sunday but also excited! Go Niners!!

meghan January 15, 2014 at 2:22 am

This looks absolutely heavenly! I would probably eat the whole thing myself.

Jenn January 15, 2014 at 5:23 am

Grrr. The Niners. ;) Just kidding. I’m rooting for your team to get to the Super Bowl just so us Packers fans can say, “See? They were a Super Bowl team!” Haha.

This dip sounds FANTASTIC. My family loves olives. I may need to make this for said Super Bowl!!

Jenn January 15, 2014 at 5:23 am

This is Jenn from eating bender, by the way. For some reason my comments haven’t been going through via Wordpress lately!!

Made in Sonoma January 15, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Did it ever go through with Word Press? I’ll have to look into that. I recently disabled anonymous comments because I was getting way too many spam comments that way, but it shouldn’t changed anything else. Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Amy Lee Scott January 16, 2014 at 2:28 pm

Holy cow, this looks like the most delectable, cheesy dish of goodness! I’m brainstorming some Super Bowl appetizer ideas and I am loving the way this bad boy looks :) I have always disliked most olives but I’ve been coming around, especially on a good slice of pizza!

Amy | Club Narwhal

Michelle C. January 19, 2014 at 1:43 am

Oh man… I need some of this dip in my life!

Michelle C. January 19, 2014 at 1:53 am

Oh man… I need some of this dip in my life!

themexigarian January 27, 2014 at 6:28 pm

oooooh cheesy fantastic goodness. I will have to give this a try once baseball season starts up :) mmmm olives…. I love green olives now too. The only ones I used to like were the black ones, but I especially love the garlic stuffed green ones. drool.