Spinach Feta Hummus

by Kelli H. on November 3, 2013

Sure seems like we have a lot of hummus around these parts, doesn’t it? Well, that is true for David. For as long as I can remember now David has brought hummus & broccoli to school/work for snacks. I really don’t know how he’s eaten hummus for so many years, but he truly believes hummus is yummus. Apparently broccoli is too because that’s his favorite raw veggie for dipping.

In an effort to keep things exciting, I’ve been trying to make him new hummus recipes every week recently. I had been buying so many cartons of pre-made hummus it was just stupid. I can make hummus way better than prepackaged, and it’s more cost effective, not to mention tastier! David has even mentioned to me that a few of his friends in his classes have asked for the recipe. So, here it is!

David said he’s torn between which hummus recipe he likes better this one or the sweet potato hummus. Personally, I liked the sweet potato one better, but this beautiful green color is pretty enticing. It was so simple to make and of course would make a great addition as an appetizer to any party. There does seem to be a lack of healthy appetizers at parties I go to. Or make this as your weekly snack for work or school. I think you’ll make people jealous with your delicious hummus!

Spinach Feta Hummus
Adapted from Weelicious

1 large clove garlic
1 packed cup fresh spinach
1 (15 oz) can garbanzo beans, drained & rinsed
2 tablespoons feta cheese
2 tablespoons tahini
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup olive oil

1. In the bowl of a food processor; pulse garlic clove until finely chopped. Add spinach and pulse until thoroughly chopped. Add the garbanzo beans through salt and turn the food processor on. Slowly pour in the olive oil until completely processed and smooth. Add a few tablespoons of water if you’d like a creamier consistency.

Thought I should post a picture of my little kitchen helper. He’s always around whenever I chop any vegetables. On this particular night he was extra needy in the kitchen and just sitting there like a sweetie boy, hopelessly waiting for me to drop anything. He wasn’t too impressed when I didn’t drop anything, and I ran to snap photos of him.

Becky @ Olives n Wine November 3, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Keep the hummus recipes comin’! I love them and they get me inspired to use my new blender 🙂

Made in Sonoma November 3, 2013 at 11:53 pm

I’ll keep that in mind, but I’m in a rut now, because this one is David’s favorite.

Val November 4, 2013 at 2:27 am

I was sold on feta and all the extra still is a bonus.

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) November 4, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Love dips that include feta! YUM!

Marin mama cooks November 4, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Ok, I’m totally going to call you the hummus and muffin gal! I’m still waiting to try that sweet potato one as I love sweet potatoes. This one is such a gorgerous color as well. I love anything green.
What a great idea to send the hubby or even my kids to school with this for snack with some carrot sticks, sliced red pepper or even some pita chips. Sweet potato hummus is on my grocery list. I will let you know how it goes over in the Grandy house. xoxo, Jackie

Nanny November 4, 2013 at 5:27 pm

I should try this one on your Uncle Steve, he loves hummus, in fact he’ll just take the whole bowl and eat it with a spoon.

Made in Sonoma November 4, 2013 at 6:08 pm

You should! It’s really tasty! David always licks the spoon! haha.

Sarah Cook November 4, 2013 at 10:43 pm

I truly believe hummus is yummus too! 🙂 This one looks almost as good as the sweet potato version. Hmm, tough decision!

natalie @ once upon a cutting board November 5, 2013 at 12:11 am

Hummus is one of my favourite snacks too and I definitely don’t make it enough considering how easy it usually is to throw together! I usually eat mine with mini carrots but broccoli is an interesting idea!

Natalie November 5, 2013 at 3:07 am

love this fun take on hummus! I’ve been in the bad habit of buying it lately, must start making it again!

Annie @ Natural Sweet Recipes November 5, 2013 at 5:52 pm

This is brilliant!! I love it! Ryder really is such a pretty dog. 🙂 I love when I have my little helper in the kitchen too. We train them well if they want veggies! Enzo’s newest veggie that he loves is bell peppers. Also, my sisters and I nominated you for a blog award on our blog today. 🙂 Thanks for your great recipes and blog! 🙂

Made in Sonoma November 5, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Thanks for the nomination! Ryder’s favorite veggie is red bell peppers too! He also lovessss kale stems and we found out last night he loves butternut squash as well. I don’t typically feed dogs human food, but I figure raw vegetables is not bad. 🙂