Sweet Potato Hummus

by Kelli H. on October 28, 2013

A few things have been happening in my life lately. Some of which involve 49er games and coming up with appetizers/snacks for watching the games. A few weeks ago I finally decided to make sweet potato hummus. It’s a recipe I’d been eying for quite some time.  I had a productive Sunday morning filled with chores, off to the store, and then home to bake sweet potatoes and prepare this lovely snack. Unfortunately, the days are too short and the hummus was not ready until about half time. Whoops! Luckily, it was super delicious and made up for it’s late entrance.

The ingredients are really simple and are items that I tend to have on hand. That jar of tahini has lasted me so long! It’s finally starting to get low, and I think I might miss it a tad!

The texture was somewhat thick and creamy and overall had a great flavor. Thank you sweet potatoes! This batch of hummus made enough for David & I to enjoy while we watched the 3rd & 4th quarter and then enough for him to snack on all week with broccoli.

This might be one of my favorite hummus’ to date. The color is really beautiful and would be a great addition to any football party table or for a Thanksgiving appetizer. I’ll definitely be making this again and soon!

Sweet Potato Hummus
Recipe adapted from Blissful Eats with Tina Jeffers

1 pound sweet potatoes
1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained
1 large garlic clove
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons tahini
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
smoked paprika, to garnish

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Poke sweet potatoes with a fork and place on a cookie sheet. Bake for about 1 hour or until a fork pierced into each potato goes in easily.

2. Peel or scoop the flesh out of the sweet potato and place into a food processor. Pulse the sweet potato, chickpeas, garlic, lime juice, tahini, olive oil, salt and pepper until smooth. You may need to add up to a couple tablespoons of water to get the consistency you desire. Scoop into a serving bowl and sprinkle with smoked paprika.

Becky @ Olives n Wine October 28, 2013 at 5:20 pm

YUM! I love hummus and the idea of adding sweet potatoes into the mix is genius. Sounds like a perfect {2nd half} football appetizer to me 🙂

Marin mama cooks October 29, 2013 at 3:47 am

This looks awesome girl! I’ve never had sweet potato hummus, but I’m sure I would love it as I love sweet potatoes and I’m sure it’s super healthy to boot! I love tahini as well and my jar is just about gone! xoxo, Jackie

Sarah Cook October 29, 2013 at 4:12 am

I know, my jar of tahini has lasted forever too! Haha. This looks great- perfect football food.

janerunssf October 29, 2013 at 5:24 am

I need to buy a jar of tahini. Hummus is so good, and its more fun to make for sure.

Jenn (eating bender) October 29, 2013 at 5:29 pm

This sounds and looks so tasty!! I have been meaning to make hummus for ages — we used to make it all the time but for some reason stopped when we moved last year. Sweet potato would be the perfect way to bring it back. Also on a completely unrelated note, I can’t wait to hear what you think of Allegiant. I finished it yesterday and am chomping at the bit to talk to people about it! 🙂

Made in Sonoma October 29, 2013 at 6:21 pm

I’m feeling so left out! I need to hurry up & finish it this week! I’ll tweet you when I’m done!

Dana October 29, 2013 at 8:23 pm

This is brilliant! That is all!

Elise @ 9toFit.com October 30, 2013 at 1:27 pm

I have NEVER seen this recipe.. so excited to try it!

Made in Sonoma October 30, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I hope you like it!

Denise @ Soup Spice Everything Nice November 7, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Hi! Kellie, I am visiting from Carole’s Chatter. I love hummus. Adding sweet potato sounds delicious. I can’t wait to try it. I am a new GFC follower. Stop by and visit me at Soup Spice Everything Nice. Have a great day!

Made in Sonoma November 7, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Thanks for the follow and stopping by! 🙂 I’ll be checking out your blog now.