S’mores Pie

by Kelli H. on October 5, 2013

For my favorite people’s birthdays I try to bake them something sweet. For David’s birthday I asked him what he’d like me to bake. He responded with “cookies”. I showed and asked him about a ton of different cookie recipes, but he didn’t want any of them! I’m not sure what he wanted when he said cookies, because he didn’t end up with cookies. I then showed him a picture of a s’mores pie and he changed his mind and said he wanted that.

I’m so glad he changed his mind for a few reasons!

1) His birthday was on a Thursday, so making the pie the night before was so easy
2) This pie was reallllly easy to make!
3) I pretty much had everything on hand

Last Thursday night we had pizza & beer at my parents house while we watched the Niners win against the Rams. I’m pretty sure they won just for David. During a commercial break, I cut the marshmallows in half (& 1 of my fingers! ouch! but I was okay…) and broiled them. Of course I went ahead and totally burnt them like the recipe warned about. Luckily, I was able to easily scrape them off and try again. I got close again, but I think they were perfect!

I did eat a couple burnt marshmallows because that’s just how I do, but the rest went into the trash can. This pie was seriously delicious. We all liked it better than real s’mores. Only complaint would be that cutting through the marshmallows to serve the pie was not an easy task. Beware! Regardless this pie is still a keeper! I’ll definitely make it again in the (near) future.

S’mores Pie
Recipe adapted from Gimme Some Oven

For the Crust:
2 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 stick melted butter
1 tablespoon sugar

For the Pie:
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
3/4 cup whole milk
10 oz semi sweet chocolate, chopped (or I used chips)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
pinch of salt
2 eggs, whisked
20-30 large mashmallows

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a large bowl; combine the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and sugar with a fork until everything is moist. Press the crumbs into the bottom and sides of a 9″ pie dish. I use my clean hands to do this. Bake for 10 minutes and remove from the oven.

2. In a medium pot over low heat; warm the cream and milk, stirring frequently so it won’t burn. Stir in the chocolate until it’s completely melted and smooth. Whisk in the vanilla and salt. Turn the heat off and remove the pot from the burner. As quickly as you can whisk in the eggs until creamy. Whisk fast to avoid curdling the eggs!

3. Pour the chocolate pudding into the pie crust and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the pudding is set and doesn’t jiggle. Remove from the oven and let cool. Once cooled, I recommend refrigerating it over night or for at least 2-3 hours.

4. Remove pie from refrigerator. Preheat the broiler. Cut marshmallows in half with scissors and place all over the top of the pie. Place under the broiler and WATCH it until the marshmallows are lightly browned. Cut pie and serve.

Tara October 5, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Yum! I’m not a huge fan of marshmallows but I would definitely eat this pie. I think the graham cracker crust would help me with my fear. 🙂 Happy birthday to your husband!

emilyrockstheroad.com October 5, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Happy birthday, David! Oh, yes. I love s’mores and anything like it! All time favorite dessert. I should totally do this for my own birthday in a few weeks!

Dott October 5, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Yum! I’ve cut marshmallows with kitchen shears and it’s much easier than a knife.

Made in Sonoma October 6, 2013 at 3:19 pm

I guess I wasn’t that clear on that. I did cut the marshmallows in half with kitchen scissors, but when I was cutting the pie to serve it, the knife wouldn’t go through the marshmallows.

Emily October 6, 2013 at 4:51 pm

This pie looks fantastic. Makes summer last a bit longer.

Marin mama cooks October 6, 2013 at 7:41 pm

You’re such a great wife, asking your hubby what he wanted for his birthday treat! I think it’s funny that he said cookies, but he truly didn’t want cookies.:)
Ok, this looks amazing and we love anything s’more in our house. I have a problem with burning the top of marshmallows a well or having them explode all over the oven. I like how you noted that it’s a bit difficult to cut into the pie due to the marshmallows. I wonder how the pie would be if you melted the marshmallows in a pan first and then spread them over the pie and then threw the pie under the broiler for a few minutes? DO you think that would work or would it totally ruin the pie? Just a thought. I so have to try this as both of my kids are behind me as I type this comment begging for this pie! Have a great Sunday girl! xoxo, Jackie

Made in Sonoma October 6, 2013 at 9:06 pm

I would look into a recipe for a marshmallow meringue to top it with if you wanted to cut into the marshmallows perfectly. I use one for the top of my sweet potato pie that I make for Thanksgiving and that always works and isn’t difficult to cut into. Then again, maybe just doing what you said would work, too. I’d definitely try it! In order to cut this, I kind of just moved the marshmallows out of the way, and then plopped 1 or 2 on each slice which totally worked so everyone got at least 1 marshmallow.

David Wells October 6, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Thanks so much for making me such a delicious pie for my b-day, babe! 🙂 I’m so lucky to have such an awesome wife! Love you!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} October 7, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Mmmm I want s’mores pie… like now!

Val October 8, 2013 at 12:36 pm

I would eat this for breakfast right now. Hehe. I’m so glad you liked the shrimp scampi.

Sarah Cook October 8, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Yum! This looks delicious. I didn’t get to make s’mores at all this summer! Boo.

Made in Sonoma October 8, 2013 at 6:11 pm

That is tragic!

Natalie October 8, 2013 at 11:44 pm

I absolutely need to make this! love s’mores everything!