Creamy Vegan Butternut Squash Carbonara Pasta

by Kelli H. on October 20, 2013

Wow!
What a mouthful of a title, right?

I feel like I found this recipe so long ago. I pinned it, and then I forgot about it. Luckily, I made it a few weeks ago, and I’m glad I did. It’s such a different kind of pasta recipe compared to what I’d normally make. There’s a LOT of sauce in this dish, and you could totally cut some of the sauce out and put it on something else, but I kind of like my pasta drenched in sauce. While I was eating it though, I was totally thinking how if your kids can’t stand broccoli, you could tell them this sauce is a cheese sauce and then put it over their broccoli. Then again, I don’t really know much about kids and what they’ll go for, but it seems like it could work in theory.

Ever since I made this creamy pasta sauce with tofu, I’ve been interested in trying another pasta tofu sauce recipe. I really love how creamy it makes the sauces, and if you haven’t tried it yourself, I definitely recommend it. One of my favorite pasta dishes is Rachael Ray’s You Won’t be Single For Long Vodka Pasta Sauce. It’s a simple recipe that I used to absolutely love, and I was just thinking how I should try incorporating some silken tofu into that recipe. I’ll let you know if anything comes of it. The recipe is pretty comforting, filling, and since it highlights butternut squash, I think it’s a perfect fall dinner.
I’m not one to microwave butternut squash or sweet potatoes, so if you want to cut down the time of this dish, you could do that, but I much prefer baking them. It does take more time, but I usually get it started when I get home, and then go for a run while it finishes. Or, just make this dish on a weekend when you have more time.
Creamy Vegan Butternut Squash Carbonara Pasta
Slightly adapted from Chef Mom
1 pound whole wheat linguine
1 (3 pound) butternut squash
1 (16oz) package silken tofu
1.5 cups frozen peas
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1. Preheat oven to 350. Cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Place the squash on a baking sheet with the skin side up. Pour a little water onto the baking sheet, just enough to have water all over the sheet. Place in oven and bake for about 1 hour. Take out when you can pierce it with a fork and the prongs easily go through the skin.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions. Right before it’s done, add in the peas for 1 minute. Drain.
3. Once the squash has cooled a bit, scoop the flesh out of the skin and place into a food processor. Add the silken tofu, olive oil, yeast, salt, pepper, and paprika. Pulse until smooth.
4. Mix the sauce with the pasta and peas. You don’t have to use all the sauce since it does make quite a lot. Serve.

We’ve finally been experiencing some colder morning and evenings. I was recently able to start cuddling with Ryder in the mornings in our big chair, and I was on cloud nine with him! You see, starting last spring early summer Ryder stopped cuddling with us. We think he was too hot, so he preferred the hardwood floors to keep cool. You have no idea how happy I was last weekend when he decided to come lay on the chair with me.

When I finally had to get up, I grabbed my camera and started snapping pictures of him. He was less than thrilled to have the camera up in his face, but he’s a pretty good sport about it. It reminded me of when he was a puppy and would always cuddle with us. Lately I’ve felt like a mom to a teenager, so my heart was totally happy. I’ll take cuddling with Ryder any day! I hope you’ve been able to enjoy the fall weather! Happy Sunday!

emilyrockstheroad.com October 20, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Aww, Ryder puppy! I’m glad Duke is down for a cuddle anytime. Wish I could say the same about the toddler …

I love butternut squash, and using it as a sauce is something I’ve never thought of! Then again, I made my first-ever butternut squash soup a couple weeks ago. I’m a little slow to pick things up sometimes 🙂

Made in Sonoma October 21, 2013 at 1:45 am

Mmm…I love butternut squash soup!

Val October 21, 2013 at 4:50 pm

I need this carbonara in my life.

Sarah Cook October 21, 2013 at 5:09 pm

I can’t believe this is vegan. It looks so creamy and cheesy! I’ve never made a sauce with tofu. I’ll have to give it a try sometime.

You weren’t kidding, Ryder really does get hot! If he passes up on coming to cuddle with mommy and doesn’t come to the door then he must be really sensitive to the heat. He looks so cute all cuddled up with you!
We don’t let Coco on the couch because it is beige microfiber and her black hair gets everywhere so I cuddle with her on the ground. Don’t you wish you could shrink them back down to puppy size??

Made in Sonoma October 21, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Ryder’s lucky his hair is so light or we wouldn’t let him either, but we do have to vacuum the couches every Sunday. I wish ALL the time I could shrink him to a puppy again, at least for just 1 day. 🙂

Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness October 21, 2013 at 5:25 pm

I just bought my first butternut squash of the season. This looks yummy!

Awwww Ryder looks SO sweet sleeping!! My dog is not a big cuddler – except for when she wants something – but I totally bother her by trying to cuddle all the time!

Dana October 21, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Mmmm. looks and sounds delish!

Tara October 21, 2013 at 10:24 pm

I love all kind of pastas and I also can not believe this is vegan! It is true that kids will probably gobble this up if they thought it was cheese sauce.

PS: I need to try Rachel Ray’s vodka sauce now.

Laurie {SimplyScratch} October 22, 2013 at 12:02 am

I love using butternut squash as a sauce… but carbonara? That’s pretty genius 🙂

janerunssf October 22, 2013 at 1:24 am

This sounds SO good. Genius I say!

Jenn (eating bender) October 22, 2013 at 3:32 am

I love a lot of sauce with my pasta, too! This recipe sounds amazing. Ryder is absolutely adorable – how awesome that the cooler weather = more cuddles. Yet another reason to love this time a year. 🙂

Daniela @ FoodrecipesHQ October 22, 2013 at 8:48 am

This healthy version of carbonara is just right my alley. Lucky me, I’ve got all the ingredients in my pantry! Got to try it ASAP.

Marin mama cooks October 23, 2013 at 3:09 am

So funny that you made this for dinner. John just made up some regular old carbonara pasta the other night and it was SO rich. I would have preferred your version a lot more and felt less guilty!
I love roasting up a squash and sweet potatoes as well instead of microwaving them. It really isn’t that hard especially if you’re just hanging around the house doing other things. It also caramelizes and tastes that much better. I love Rachel Ray’s vodka pasta as well, so easy and so delish! Ryder is a total teen, he wants to cuddle some days and other day’s he wants his space! So cute! xoxo, Jackie

Annie @ Natural Sweet Recipes October 23, 2013 at 10:41 pm

This looks delish! Also, I love nothing more than sleepy, cuddly labs. Ryder looks precious!!

Annie @ Natural Sweet Recipes October 23, 2013 at 10:42 pm