Roasted Tomatillo Salsa

by Kelli H. on September 19, 2013

David & I have a new favorite salsa.
We used to make homemade salsa all the time when we first moved into together.
We’d make Pioneer Woman’s restaurant style salsa. It was good! Then we got sick of it…
It’d make SO much that we’d be eating salsa for the whole week.
Which was good, until you start putting on weight from eating chips daily.

A few weeks back, David & I had dinner at Max & Maren’s place. Maren made us very spicy but tasty green salsa. I was SO happy when she posted the recipe. Then, last Saturday we had our friends Jeff & Debby over for dinner. I was making vegetarian enchiladas and wanted to have chips and salsa beforehand. I remembered Maren’s recipe, and I knew I had to make it.

There’s a few reasons why I love this recipe.
1) It’s green & green is my favorite color
2) It’s green & I love green sauce!
3) It’s easy
4) It’s got amazing flavors from the roasted tomatillos and jalapenos.
5) It’s salsa
Luckily, Jeff & Debby seemed to enjoy the salsa as much as me, David, Max & Maren. There’s six people I know that can attest to this being a good salsa recipe. Perfect timing for this recipe, too because it’d make the best snack for football games. I’ve already promised David I’ll be making it again many times this football season.

Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
Adapted from Maren’s Morsels

1 pound tomatillos, husks removed
2 jalapenos
1 clove garlic, peeled
1 bundle of cilantro, leaves only
1 lime, juiced

1. Grill tomatillos and jalapenos on a hot barbeque or grill pan for about 10-15 minutes or until charred and soft. Carefully remove the stems of the jalapenos.

2. In the bowl of a food processor; pulse the 1 clove of garlic until chopped. Add in the roasted tomatillos, jalapenos, cilantro, and lime juice. Process until pureed.

3. Pour into a bowl and place in the freezer for 30 minutes. Move to the fridge until ready to serve. Serve with tortilla chips.

Note: This salsa is only mild to medium spicy and can vary depending on the size of jalapenos used.

janerunssf September 19, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Mmmmm green salsa is my favorite. I need to make my own! Great share!

Jenn (eating bender) September 19, 2013 at 7:52 pm

I love green salsa! Just had some last night at Chipotle, in fact. :o) This recipe looks awesome – I’ll have to try making my own soon!

natalie @ once upon a cutting board September 20, 2013 at 2:51 am

My sister just made tomatillo salsa for the first time too and I’ve still never tried them, but I know I’d love this salsa!

Marin mama cooks September 20, 2013 at 3:04 pm

I love tomatillo salsas girl. I have 2 on my blog, but they do not have roasted tomatillo’s or jalapeños in them. I’m sure it adds great flavor to the salsa to roast the tomatillos. I’m definitely going to give this a try. We love salsa as well, and I’m still finishing up a batch of my avocado and tahini dip, but I’ve been trying to pair it with some veggies so I don’t eat too many chips, but chips are still the best accompaniment. Have a fabulous weekend! xoxo, Jackie

Tara September 20, 2013 at 3:39 pm

I love tomatillo!! I am also the biggest fan of green salsa, not red (too sweet) and I love how this recipe only has a handful of ingredients. Only thing I would have to buy is the tomatillos, wahoo!

lifeofdi.com September 22, 2013 at 4:13 pm

I’ve never had tomatillo salsa. Marty and I are HUGE salsa fans (we can down a huge bowl of it!) I’ll have to show him this recipe. Yum!

Made in Sonoma September 22, 2013 at 6:46 pm

OMG! It’s so good! You should definitely make this!