Pesto Parmesan Bread Sticks

by Kelli H. on September 5, 2013

There’s a restaurant in Sonoma County called Mary’s Pizza Shack. It’s kind of a local institution. I remember being a kid and always wanting to go there. As a teenager, my friends and I would go there for Friday night dinner’s. I seem to go less and less these day’s but, I’ll forever be a fan of their house salads and Pesto Parmesan bread sticks.

I had some pizza dough sitting in my fridge for almost a week thinking I was going to make pizza with it. I ran out of toppings for pizza, but I did have some frozen pesto and a little bit of Parmesan cheese left in the fridge. Rather than letting it go to waste, while I was on a walk with Ryder I decided I’d try to recreate my favorite bread sticks from Mary’s.

I’m so glad I did because I didn’t have to waste the dough that I bought from Whole Foods AND we were going to have a delicious side with our halibut that night — win win!

Also, Pesto Parmesan Bread sticks are best dipped in ranch. It’s just a well-known fact around these parts, so you better do it yourself!

Pesto Parmesan Bread Sticks

1 pizza dough
1/4 cup prepared pesto
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees with your pizza stone in the oven.

2. Cut your pizza dough into 6-8 equal parts, depending on how many bread sticks you want. Roll each piece into a long stick shape. Brush with pesto and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Twist the dough with your fingers and place on preheated pizza stone or baking sheet.

3. Bake bread sticks for 10-15 minutes or until lightly golden brown.

Kelly Senyei | Just a Taste September 5, 2013 at 1:57 pm

These look amazing! I love a goo Parmesan bread stick but never thought to include pesto. Can’t wait to try your recipe!

Made in Sonoma September 6, 2013 at 12:58 am

Thank you! I hope you try them!

Annie @ Natural Sweet Recipes September 5, 2013 at 9:05 pm

I’ve been to Mary’s Pizza Shack! Too funny. I wonder if we have any similar friends in that area. πŸ™‚ I’ve never thought to make these with pizza dough! How easy. And holy cow, they look delicious! Also, I hope wedding plans are going well! Would love to hear more updates. πŸ™‚

Made in Sonoma September 6, 2013 at 12:58 am

You’re too funny, Annie! We were married on July 13th but thanks! I haven’t posted too much about it, because I don’t have any photos from the photographer back yet. Probably in another month.

Marin mama cooks September 6, 2013 at 2:20 pm

I’ve been to Mary’s once with the kids and they loved it. We happened to be in Sonoma after a soccer game and the kids were craving some carbs, so went to the Mary’s downtown Sonoma. I have to say that the staff there was super friendly and honestly we found the whole town to be super friendly. I love Sonoma. I’m totally going to make these up for the kids! I love how easy they are. They would be the perfect side for a pasta or a great after school snack. I will totally let you know how they turn out for us. Have a great weekend girl! xoxo, Jackie

Nanny September 6, 2013 at 2:42 pm

I’ve had Mary’s bread sticks and they are so good, your bread sticks are so easy that I think I’ll have to try them.
By the way, I love all your pictures that you posted.

Made in Sonoma September 6, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Thanks, Nanny!

Sarah Cook September 6, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Yum! I love how simple and delicious these look! I’d probably eat all of them in one sitting. πŸ™‚
Thanks for the recipe!

hillary | nutrition nut on the run September 6, 2013 at 11:08 pm

I can taste the chewy pesto-ness in my mouth as I read this post, yum!

Tara September 7, 2013 at 5:22 am

Yum, last time I had pizza dough it expired and I had to throw it out. Now I know what to do from now on!

sonia the mexigarian September 10, 2013 at 10:43 pm

I’ve been to Mary’s once, er the husband had pizza delivered to my hotel room because I indulged waaaaay too much and the olives and wine festival one year. mmmm…cold pizza in the am hit the spot.

now i have to go back and try these suckers out. but first, i will make them. love pesto. love bread. perfect πŸ™‚

~Aunt Shellie~ September 15, 2013 at 2:07 am

I made these last week and they were just as good or even better then Mary’s especially with the pesto! I had the hardest time keeping them long though, they kept shrinking back as soon as i laid them on the cookie sheet! “you will have to tell me your trick on that one” haha

Made in Sonoma September 15, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Glad you liked them. Some of mine were smaller too, but the trick is to let your dough sit out for a while. Maybe let it sit on the counter for 30 minutes or while the oven preheats.