Our Favorite Turkey Burgers

by Kelli H. on September 1, 2013

I recently made these ridiculously good turkey burgers. Seriously, we were blown away by them. It must have been the chimichurri sauce that’s on the bun. It’s amazing! It’s a very simple chimichurri with garlic, shallot, cilantro, etc. It kind of spicy, which I love. Garlic spicy is a different kind of spicy to me. I can handle garlic spicy.

I had fresh organic butter lettuce, sweet onion, and a side of kale chips with this dinner. I made them again last night and had fresh homegrown tomatoes from Don at work. The fresh tomatoes were sooooo delicious. I can understand how tomatoes are considered fruit when they are homegrown. There is such a difference. I normally don’t even care for tomatoes, but homegrown I can eat plain — like a boss!

The fact that David and I made these again already in less than two weeks just proves how nuts about them we are. Our old favorite turkey burgers were these ones, but nope, now we’re on to these!

I recently saw a status on Facebook of someone asking where the best burgers in Sonoma County was. I wanted to reply “At home!”. I really do believe you can make the best food at home. Of course going out to eat is always fun and there’s reasons behind going out to dinner, but I really do believe these turkey burgers are just as good as anywhere you could order in Sonoma County, if not better.

Cilantro Chimichurri Turkey Burgers

1 heaping cup fresh cilantro
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Buns
Your favorite toppings: Lettuce, Tomato, Onion, Avocado, Cheese, Etc.

1. Preheat barbeque or grill to high heat.

2. In a large bowl; combine turkey burger ingredients. Form into 4 equal patties and drizzle with oil. Grill burgers for 7 minutes. Flip and grill for another 5-7 minutes or until cooked through.

3. While burgers are cooking, in a food processor pulse garlic and shallot until finely chopped. Add in the remaining ingredients and puree until smooth.

4. Assemble the burgers and top with cilantro chimichurri sauce. Enjoy!

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

lifeofdi.com September 1, 2013 at 12:00 pm

These look so delicious Kelly! I was wanting some kind of a burger for dinner tonight (with it being Labor Day weekend and all) but I wasn’t sure what to make since I am the only person in my family that doesn’t eat red meat. I think this would work great though 🙂 Thanks for sharing – as always!

Emily September 1, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Chimichurri makes every taste so good. my husband will eat basically anything with this sauce. Works out well for me when I want to have something he normally wouldn’t enjoy…like this turkey burger.

Made in Sonoma September 1, 2013 at 6:50 pm

I agree! Chimichurri is the best. It enhances everything.

Marin mama cooks September 2, 2013 at 2:32 pm

I love it when you said the best turkey burgers are made at home. I totally agree girl. We always agree that we make better meals at home, but we go out to restaurants because sometimes you just need someone else to cook for a change. We have our favorite turkey burger as well and it involves a lot of gruyere cheese in the patty. I have to try this chimichurri sauce. We love adding a sauce to our burgers and are always open to trying new ones. Have a blissful Labor Day girl! xoxo, Jackie

Tara September 2, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Such a great way to eat chimichurri! I love it on any kind of meat and it makes such a great substitute instead of mayo or another spread.

I also agree that the best burger is made at home! Especially because all those $1.50 toppings add up, like avocado, mushrooms, bacon etc and it’s so much cheaper to buy it yourself.

Made in Sonoma September 4, 2013 at 4:42 pm

I don’t like when places charge so much extra for toppings! Especially a $1 for some avocado! I’m like “really?! I could buy an avocado for $1”.

Ari @ Ari's Menu September 3, 2013 at 4:25 am

I love turkey burgers, and these flavors look absolutely fantastic!

Natalie September 4, 2013 at 1:58 am

hmmm we have our favorite turkey burgers but now you have me tempted to branch out and try this one!!

Made in Sonoma September 4, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Yes! You should try it! Though, I made them last Saturday and used 3 large cloves of garlic. I think I might bring it down to 2 cloves or 3 small ones, because the garlic taste lingers for a longggg time. haha.