Wine of the Week: Bodkin Sparkling Sauvignon Blanc

by Kelli H. on August 27, 2013

Wow, I hadn’t realized how long it’d been since I had last shared any new wine’s I’ve enjoyed. Funny since I’ve actually enjoyed more wines in the last 6 months than I ever have before. My love for wine is growing more and more every week.

David and I are such huge beer lovers, but recently wine has taken over the spot light. We’re so glad that we first started out appreciating beer for it’s craft and styles. Learning how to taste beer has really taught us how to taste wine. David is so good at describing what he can taste in each bottle. I have a harder time being able to pick out certain tastes.

I’ve been a huge fan of Toad Hollow’s Risque ever since my friend, Michelle introduced me to it. Since then I always feel like special occasions or a random summer night calls for some bubbly. David surprised me by bringing home this bottle of Bodkin Blanc de Sauvignon Blanc a few weeks back. He bought it on a Friday after work and it only lasted in our fridge until Sunday. We just can’t resist bubbles! We took Ryder on a swim/walk to one of our favorite places, Sonoma Regional Park. It was a hot day, and when we got home, we ere both craving it.

Bodkin Wines, owned by Christopher Christensen seems to be relatively new, but it sure seems like he knows what he’s doing, at least from what I can tell from this bottle of sparkling wine. David and I loved the aroma from this bubbly. The initial reaction was that it was quite tart sitting in the mouth, but also very pleasant, happy, and very enjoyable. We thought it tasted just like granny smith apples. It was so refreshing, we had to drink it out of bigger glasses than flutes, and we didn’t have a hard time finishing it in one sitting.

Unfortunately, it looks like from the website that the wine is all sold out. I guess that’s a good thing since it means more will be released soon! At least I hope so. We’re definitely looking forward to more wines from Bodkin. I believe David spent about $12.99 on this bottle at Bottle Barn in Santa Rosa. If you see it, give it a try!

Alysia @ Slim Sanity August 27, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Ooh I love sparkling wine!

Dott August 27, 2013 at 4:25 pm

That’s a great price, I hope I can find it in Phoenix! I love sauv blanc and REALLY love sparkling sauv blanc!

janerunssf August 29, 2013 at 5:35 am

And now I want wine. Thanks šŸ˜‰

Anonymous August 29, 2013 at 4:17 pm

I have a few bottles of Bodkin Sparkling in my fridge and it won’t last long. Beyond delicious. So is the Bodkin Muscat Canelli!!!

Made in Sonoma August 29, 2013 at 4:41 pm

I’ll have to keep my eyes open for it!

Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness August 30, 2013 at 4:14 am

Hi there, I’m a new blog visitor! I love that you do a “wine of the week” post – so fun! I also live in California and adore cooking, baking and wine. šŸ™‚

Kristen Jomes September 13, 2013 at 9:36 am

How nice it is to see the wine bottle with glasses on table. The wine seems delicious I must say. I am a wine lover and I also love to make wine at my home. Recently I also made a recipe Chiken Piccata with white wine. It is always interesting to pair up wine with food.

Made in Sonoma June 21, 2014 at 4:29 pm

i manage a wine department on the northern coast of California and every Saturday I do a tasting on the wines I put on sale. This week im sampling a lovely selection including Bodkin Sparkling Sauvignon Blanc… Christopher is a huge renaissance enthusiast and It shows on the label… which im not particularly fond of… BUT I did fall in love with whats inside the bottle and look forward to sharing it with my customers

Made in Sonoma June 21, 2014 at 10:37 pm

Wine is like books; in that you can’t judge a wine by it’s label. I agree that the label isn’t the most exciting, but as you stated, it’s what’s inside that counts. šŸ™‚ Happy to hear you enjoy Bodkin as well! I’m looking forward to tasting more of his wines in the future.