Espresso Fun: Affogato

by Kelli H. on August 18, 2013

The only gift David wanted for our wedding was an espresso machine. Not any espresso machine either, but the Rancilio Silvia and the Rancilio Rocky grinder. He wanted this set up for probably about a good year, but I kept asking him to put it off. The week of the honeymoon he didn’t even mention it once, so I thought I was out of the woods. I thought, “Okay, he’s over it”. Of course, the day we got back he mentioned that he was still eying the set up. A day later he ordered it and now low and behold our house has turned into a coffee shop {seriously}.

We bought an awesome little robins egg blue cabinet to display our new set up, and I have to admit, it’s a pretty cute set up! Of course, he’s totally into making shots of espresso all the time now. He does pretty dang good at it. He just needs to master latte art now. He only likes to buy the best beans, too. The bag of Blue Bottle was a gift from our friend, Jeff. We normally stick to Taylor Maid beans, and there’s also a new coffee bean roaster in town that we like called Blue Beagle.

The weekend after this purchase he told me that we should make a dessert called Affogato’s. I’d never heard of it, but it’s just an espresso shot over ice cream. We went to Whole Foods and bought some local ice cream called Three Twins. I highly recommend it. It was some of the best store bought ice cream I’ve ever had.

The dessert was easy enough to make. He got the shot ready to pull, and I scooped the ice cream into one of our new latte cups.  I placed the cup full of ice cream under the portafilter and we let ‘er rip.

We waited eagerly for our tasty dessert to be ready while the perfect shot of espresso came out. We knew it was going to be heavenly.

Now, truth be told, I’m not an espresso drinker. Sure I’ll have a latte, but plain espresso? No, thanks! David loves espresso though, so I figured even if it was too strong for me, he would have no problem eating it. The affogato was fantastic. The espresso was definitely strong and way more coffee flavored than say coffee ice cream, but just think of espresso ice cream or an espresso float. If you’re an espresso fan than this simple dessert would be right up your alley. If you’re anything like me, and espresso effects you in ridiculously hard to believe ways, than you might want to stay away. It’s not really a dessert for the light hearted.

Affogato

1 shot espresso
2 scoops vanilla ice cream (or ice cream/gelato of choice)

Directions:
Pull an espresso shot directly over a cup of ice cream. Enjoy!

chelsy August 18, 2013 at 10:18 pm

I looooooove affogato…this looks absolutely delicious. 🙂

lifeofdi.com August 18, 2013 at 11:34 pm

Oh my goodness! Marty and I have an espresso maker somewhere in our basement. Looks like I need to dig it out 🙂 I love the idea of pairing espresso with ice cream. Espresso float!

Marin mama cooks August 19, 2013 at 2:13 am

Ok, first off I love Blue bottle coffee, but I can never seem to get it to taste the way they do at the shops. I don’t think we grind our beans correctly, so we usually just stick to Peet’s which is my other favorite coffee. I also love our local Three Twins as well. Have you ever been to one of their stores?
We were in your neck of the woods last night as we went biking and blackberry picking in Sebastopol and the kids were hungry for some grub afterwards, so we headed to the Sonoma Square form some pizza. We had to be casual because we were in our biking garb. I just love your little town, so friendly and so cute! Have a great night! xoxo, Jackie

Made in Sonoma August 20, 2013 at 4:48 pm

I can’t get it to taste that way either, but David makes an art out of it (like they do), so he gets pretty dang close. Then again, they have espresso machines that are thousands of dollars…so who can compare?!

I have not been to a local Three Twins. I didn’t know they have stores. I’ll have to check that out!

Natalie August 19, 2013 at 11:53 pm

I’m not a fan of coffee really, but mix it with ice cream and I’m all over it!!!

dana August 20, 2013 at 3:48 pm

uh, that looks AMAZANG. John and I got an espresso maker for our wedding too. We used it a ton when we first got married, but now we just do drip coffee. Great idea on the affogato and again, congrats on your marriage!!

Made in Sonoma August 20, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Thanks! It’s definitely something that’s for David. He’s obsessed with espresso. I still like to keep to french press. It doesn’t tend to keep me up all night.