Hiking Alamere Falls

by Kelli H. on February 14, 2013

Last Sunday my friend, Michelle & I headed down to Pt. Reyes National Seashore for a hike to Alamere Falls. We’ve been trying to do 1 hike a month together and February’s was a total success!

We started our morning off early by leaving the house around 9 a.m. We got to the trail head a little after 10:30. Of course two girls dealing with directions didn’t go so well. Two iPhones, two different map apps, and we still had to turn around a few times and guess. Thanks to the lack of street signs! Luckily, we still made it before the parking lot filled up.

The hike was really beautiful and went between scaling the coast with a view of the ocean, and more inland with beautiful trees. The hike itself was relatively easy without much climbing. Somehow I did manage to end up with a blister on my pinky toe. I think it’s time I invest in some day hiking boots.

Once we made it to the falls we could start to tell that this hike was very popular. I had doubted the internet when it said to get to the trail head earlier. Good thing we did because there had to be fifty people at the falls.

Unfortunately, we weren’t able to go down onto the beach and see ‘The Alamere Falls’ up close, because we would have had to jump off a mountain! I’m not sure how people were down on the beach. Luckily, there were plenty of other small falls to keep us occupied.

After exploring the area a bit, we sat down, ate our sandwiches, and enjoyed the view of the ocean. We also did some people watching. How could you not?! One guy was wearing black slacks!

It was a great hike. Although, it was highly populated, I would recommend this hike to anyone in the area. You can’t beat the views of the ocean or the beautiful waterfalls. It makes me want to go back and continue exploring the area.

Days like last Sunday make me really love living in California. Tee shirt hiking weather in February? I’ll take it!

Katie @ Blonde Ambition February 14, 2013 at 7:59 pm

I went “camping” in Point Reyes for the first time Summer 2011 (the rest of my family was camping, but we were over the limit of people per campground so a few others and I just drove back to my grandparents’ house in Novato each night ;P).

Anyway, it was SO beautiful! I really wanted to go for a hike but wasn’t properly equipped. Your photos are lovely!

Heather Luna February 14, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Amazing. Love it up there. Does this trail allow dogs, do you know?

Made in Sonoma February 14, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Unfortunately, no dogs are allowed. 🙁

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers February 14, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Gorgeous. Jealous. Yup, that pretty much sums it up. 😉

Maren February 15, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Ohh such a cool hike. I’m putting it on my to do hike list.

Natalie February 18, 2013 at 3:03 am

gorgeous!! i wish i lived somewhere where i could do this regularly!

lifeofdi.com February 19, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Like Natalie said, ‘I wish I lived somewhere I could do this regularly!’ – DITTO! This is so stunning and it’s incredible that you can just go out and find this within an hour from your house. Ohio does have a notable hiking area called ‘Hocking Hills’ but it is nowhere near as nice at this trail (especially considering the beach!) Yet another reason I’d love to live in the Pacific Northwest area!

sonia the mexigarian February 21, 2013 at 5:23 pm

I haven’t hiked in a loooong time. I miss it. It always feels like I’m exploring when I’m out on the trail. I’ll have to check out this hike 🙂

Anonymous September 30, 2013 at 3:45 am

There is a steep scramble off to the right, when looking down from the top of the falls. It’s steep, and the shale is loose, but it’s doable. That’s how you get down to the beach. I love this place and the hike.

Made in Sonoma September 30, 2013 at 4:23 am

hmm…we tried going to the right of the falls, but maybe it was the wrong area, because it was just wayyy to steep. it would have been somewhat jumping off/sliding down, and i’m way too wimpy for that!