Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

by Kelli H. on January 31, 2013

Last weekend David’s grandparents came to town from Oregon. We had them over and served this appetizer. Like I’ve mentioned before, David’s healthy diet has changed our eating habits quite a bit. Not to say we were unhealthy before, but before his diet, I probably wouldn’t have only made a hummus veggie plate. Luckily, everyone enjoyed it. I did break down and buy two bags of chips from Whole Foods for them. I’m glad I did, because I ended up finding one of my new favorite chips. David’s Grandpa Al, also seemed pretty smitten with them.

I’m not a big chip person at all, but Whole Foods had these on sale for $2 a bag and it was well worth it! The bag to the right is called Late July and the flavor was “Dude Ranch”. It reminded me of a healthier version of Doritos Cool Ranch, but SO much better. Highly highly recommend them. As for the baked potato chips, they were good, but nothing to write home about.

You’ve probably also heard by now that there’s this little thing called the Super Bowl coming up on Sunday. I’m sure you’ve seen lots of really tempting appetizers for the big game all around the interwebz. You should probably be the cool kid, and make this healthy appetizer to where ever you’re headed. It’s funny how watching a sport makes people want to eat food that’s unhealthy. At least you won’t feel guilty eating this appetizer.

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
Adapted from Cooking Light October 2010

1 garlic clove
1/3 cup tahini
1/4 cup water
1/3 cup chopped jarred roasted red bell peppers
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (15oz) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained

1. Place garlic in a food processor and pulse a couple times. Add remaining ingredients to the processor and process until smooth.

sonia the mexigarian January 31, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Making a hummus dip for the big game too! Amongst other things. Love roasted pepper hummus. Yours looks deliciously thick. I might have to hunt down them ranch chips. did they only have one flavor or was there multiple?

Made in Sonoma January 31, 2013 at 5:24 pm

They have multiple flavors! I gotta try some more.

lifeofdi.com January 31, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Oh my gosh Kelli! YUM! I was just telling Marty (last night) that we needed to make some homemade hummus this week. This looks so delicious. I’m on a hummus kick right now and it’s starting to become an expensive little addiction 😉 I’m hoping I will be able to save a few $ if I start making my own. I’ll have to write this recipe down 🙂

Natalie @ Once Upon a Cutting Board January 31, 2013 at 7:13 pm

I was thinking of making buffalo hummus for the game so it has unhealthy flavour but isn’t that bad for you .. I love roasted red pepper hummus too though! And mmm I want those Dude Ranch chips so bad now, I’ve tried them once before and loved them!

Made in Sonoma January 31, 2013 at 7:37 pm

I like your idea of the buffalo hummus. I’ve been meaning to try your recipe! This might be the perfect weekend for it.

Katie @ Blonde Ambition February 1, 2013 at 4:51 pm

I am so addicted to hummus that I pretty much always have to serve it to myself with veggies or else I would be completely ashamed of how many calories/fat I consumed in one setting, haha.

However, when I make my homemade hummus I don’t use olive oil either, so then it’s game on with the pita chips 😉

Stacie @ Snaps and Bits February 1, 2013 at 11:13 pm

That looks good! I’m lazy – I just buy it at TJs!

Anonymous February 2, 2013 at 12:20 am

This paragraph will assist the internet people for creating new blog or even a weblog from start to end.
Also visit my blog postseo company india

moderngirlnutrition February 3, 2013 at 2:52 am

That humus looks amazing! THanks for the recipe:)