Wine of the Week: Beringer White Merlot

by Kelli H. on July 6, 2012

I’m really excited to post my first Wine of the Week edition. I recently heard about the link up from my friend, Maren and I’ve been really wanting to participate since! Alysia at Slim Sanity links up everyone’s Wine of the Week posts. It’s fun to read what everyone is drinking and if they enjoyed it or not. I really don’t know much about wine, which is a shame since I live in Sonoma County. I’ll always accept a glass of wine, and I love trying any variety. I do prefer white wines in the summer, so I’m sure most my Wine of the Week posts will be whites for the time being, but ya never know! I’m not even sure if I’ll do one every week, maybe just two a month.

Today I’m sharing Beringer’s White Merlot. I had never heard of a white merlot until last week when Maren & Sonia were talking about it on twitter. I knew I had to find a bottle for myself. Last Saturday morning I was at the store, browsing through the wine aisle when I found what I was looking for. Beringer’s White Melot was on sale for $5.99 a bottle. I snatched the bottle as fast as I could!

Beringer has been around since 1876. I wish I knew more about them, because the company I work for has done a lot of construction for them. I’m glad that now I can at least say I’ve had one of their wines. I’m also going to make it a point to go wine tasting there soon!

I was a little disappointed that the bottle didn’t describe which fruits the wine tasted like, but it was definitely fruity.

Stats:
Beringer Winery
White Merlot
Napa Valley
12.5% alcohol

Overall Impression:
I was extremely impressed with this bottle. I have nothing to compare it to, since I’ve never had a white merlot berfore, but it was delicious! The color was beautiful and inviting. It was fruity, but not overly fruity. Sitting in my mouth it was completely smooth with no bite. There wasn’t much of an alcohol taste from start to finish. This would definitely be a great wine for a new wine drinker. It’s perfect for a sunny day. I enjoy drinking a glass of wine before my dinner as an appetizer rather than with dinner. I did take my last sip while I was eating my vegetarian pizza and it definitely didn’t work with the food, which I had already anticipated.

To sum it up, I love this wine.
I’ll definitely be buying it again and again this summer.

David Wells July 6, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I just have to say that this wine was AWESOME! I usually prefer beer, but this wine was really excellent! I’m now super excited to keep trying more wines to further develop my palette.

Alysia @ Slim Sanity July 6, 2012 at 2:11 pm

It looks good! I am going to have to try this, I hadn’t heard of white merlot before Maren was talking about it either!

Kelli H July 6, 2012 at 2:17 pm

You’ll probably like it. It’s not as sweet as moscato. 🙂 Reminds me of White Zinfandel but better.

David Wells July 6, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Testing.

Baking Serendipity July 7, 2012 at 9:19 pm

I’ve never had a white merlot before, but love fruity wines too, so this is definitely getting added to the shopping list. I’m going to like this series…I can already tell!

Sonia the Mexigarian July 9, 2012 at 9:10 pm

One of my favorite ways to describe fruity wines like this is “poolside”. You can easily enjoy this by itself while relaxing by the pool. Wine tasting in Temecula, a lot of the tasting servers used the term for white merlots and roses. I do like the Beringer on its own. Staring at the picture, I want.

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) July 9, 2012 at 9:46 pm

I like that, I would definitely drink this poolside. 🙂 It’s on sale at CVS for $4/bottle right now. I’m gonna pick some up!

Anonymous December 1, 2012 at 12:20 am

absolutely love this wine. barefoot sweet red is really good too. but this is my new fave

Made in Sonoma December 1, 2012 at 4:42 am

Glad to hear you like it! I’ll have to check out barefoots.

Anonymous February 14, 2013 at 1:40 am

I bought a bottle of this wine and I was not sure if it’s served like Merlot at room temperature or like a White wine chilled, so I looked it up. Evidently White Merlot is best served chilled like White or Rose wines. I agree this was a nice flavorful wine, not too sweet.

Made in Sonoma February 14, 2013 at 5:01 am

Glad you enjoyed it! I definitely prefer it chilled. 🙂

Anonymous February 15, 2013 at 6:51 pm

I am a big fan of white merlot and have had Beringer and Sutter Home. White merlot is definitely my all time favorite! Chilled is best for me and I also enjoy it as a spritzer…. I use Sprite zero. Cheers!

Made in Sonoma February 15, 2013 at 6:56 pm

As a spritzer sounds delicious!

Anonymous February 19, 2013 at 12:22 am

Awesome wine,why name it White Merlot great to come home to after a hard day working

25cdc42e-a22f-11e2-b2cb-000bcdcb2996 April 10, 2013 at 10:36 pm

I have always loved this wine, but the last batch I bought with the red cap did not taste the same as the bottle with the gold cap. I was so disappointed. I actually poured the wine out and bought a bottle of Gallo’s White Merlot.. imagine that????

Made in Sonoma April 11, 2013 at 1:36 am

That is so weird. I’ve never seen it with a red cap, but I’ll keep my eyes open for one!

Made in Sonoma July 1, 2014 at 3:24 am

Drinking it now. Good stuff.

Made in Sonoma August 9, 2014 at 1:26 am

Just picked up a bottle. It’s a little sweeter, than I thought it would be, but pretty refreshing. I’ve had white zinfandel, and this comes very close, but I think I like it better. I’m usually a full red drinker, but this is still somewhat red, and more refreshing.

Made in Sonoma August 10, 2014 at 11:28 pm

I agree, it is pretty sweet. Usually rosé of Zins and Merlots are sweet. If you prefer more dry rosé’s I’d recommend a rosé of pinot noir.

Made in Sonoma August 11, 2014 at 3:44 pm

I couldn’t have more than a glass. Was way too sweet. I’ll try the rose next time, or just stick with my reds. Not a white fan.

Made in Sonoma December 10, 2014 at 6:06 pm

DISGUSTING. This isn’t wine. It’s koolaid. Gulp this crap down if you want to get White-Girl Drunk.

Made in Sonoma December 10, 2014 at 6:37 pm

Though your opinion is totally valid, the manner in which you write is obnoxious. Your name is definitely fitting since you’re so judgmental. I’m sure you’re a wonderful person.

Made in Sonoma December 15, 2014 at 8:32 am

I got made fun of for drinking this wine. Yet i really enjoy it. Yummy and sweet.

kathryn July 29, 2016 at 5:38 pm

I just love love white merlot!!!!! It is now my favorite!!!!! So so good!!!!

Gary October 17, 2016 at 12:46 pm

Tried this wine for the first time when I was looking for something to pair with steak and lobster. It was perfect.