Ryder’s First Birthday!

by Kelli H. on May 14, 2012

Yesterday was Ryder’s first birthday! It was kind of hectic with it also being Mother’s Day, but we wanted to do something special for him. I had come across a dog cake recipe on Brown-Eyed Bakers blog a few months ago, and kept it in the back of mind. I made some changes to the recipe to make it more natural and for what I thought was healthier for Ryder. I figured he wouldn’t mind my changes since he enjoys eating grass and sticks. Literally, he loves eating sticks…

Okay, I know it looks pretty weird. Keep in mind, it’s for a dog! Also, it’s pretty natural, hence the ugly color in a funny shape that was supposed to be a bone. We only gave Ry half the cake though and then tore it into pieces for him.

Needless to say, he loved it and didn’t want to share. Good thing he has another night to eat it.
HAPPY 1st BIRTHDAY, RYDER!!
We love you!
Ryder’s Doggy Cake
adapted from Brown-Eyed Baker
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup shredded carrots
4 oz unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup creamy natural peanut butter
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon chia seeds
3 tablespoons water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a small bowl; sprinkle 1 tablespoon chia seeds over 3 tablespoons water. Let sit for 15 minutes. Stir together after 15 minutes. It will thicken up.
3. In a bowl; combine flour and baking soda. Mix in carrots, applesauce, peanut butter, honey, and chia seed “egg”. It will be pretty thick. Place in a prepared baking dish. Shape into a bone or any shape your prefer. Bake for 30 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean. Cool completely before serving.

I know I’m a little nuts…
Do you have a dog?

David Wells May 14, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Awww, puppy boy!! He’s such a good boy, and I can’t believe he’s already a big one-year-old!! I think he was very happy with his birthday cake, and he loves his mamma very very much. 🙂

Megan Pence May 14, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Gah!! So much cuteness!! Happy Bark-day Ryder! Huck is sending a high-paw your way.

Nanny May 14, 2012 at 2:27 pm

He’s so cute I can’t believe he’s one year old already, seems like yesterday we went to Tahoe and he was just a puppy, I’ll bet my Bogie would love that cake.

Laura May 14, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Happy birthday, Ryder! He’s getting to be a grown-up pup! Good looking recipe too, very wholesome and natural! I’ll def try it but sub out brown rice flour, as I think Jake is allergic to wheat.

Made in Sonoma May 14, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Our vet is against wheat for dogs, but I figured this once he’d be fine. 🙂 I’m sure any substitution would totally work!

Kristin @ eat healthy. be happy. live well. May 14, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Titan LOVES sticks too!!! He is constantly chewing on some twigs or logs for our wood stove. Glad to know he’s not the only one!

I really think he would love that cake!! I wanted to do something special for his first birthday, but it was just a really busy time for me so it just didn’t happen.

mOm May 15, 2012 at 2:40 am

He looks like “Evil” Ryder in that picture!
Remind me to try that cake for Lil Lexi’s 5th bday in August.

Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes May 15, 2012 at 4:28 am

Oh my goodness, he is so sweet! He’s so adorable at 4 months and at 1 year!! And what is it with sticks?! Enzo eats them like they are treats! And he is so sneaky about picking them up, even while we are walking so that he’s already downed one before I realize it. Haha. That cake looks awesome, great job! I’ll have to keep that in mind! And happy birthday to Ryder, he is one good looking doggie!

Baking Serendipity May 15, 2012 at 4:44 am

I love this! I’ve made my dog treats a lot, but never his own cake! He’d go crazy for this…or just a stick to eat too 🙂

Jane May 16, 2012 at 2:57 am

Happy belated birthday to Ryder! That’s so cool you made him his own cake!

Cinnamon @ eatpraytri June 19, 2012 at 6:59 pm

just coming across this post and oh em goodness Ryder is just the cutest!! Happy first birthday (even though its over a month since he celebrated) 🙂 I would love to see Ryder as a part of 23PAWS! Such a cutie!!

Made in Sonoma June 19, 2012 at 7:39 pm

I’ll have to check that out!