Whole Wheat Walnut Banana Bread

by Kelli H. on April 27, 2012

This is kind of a strange photo, but I really liked this effect. I also think it looks pretty cool on my anniversary flowers. They’re over a week old and still holding on. I love flowers in the house.

I love this flower. Someone please tell me what it is. I’d love to use them in our wedding. I don’t even know where to start finding out what these are.

Okay, onto banana bread! Don’t you love homemade loaf breads? I sure do! I also love when I get to make a somewhat healthier version of loaf breads. Whenever I have overripe bananas sitting on my counter, I’m always yelling at myself to make banana bread, rather than just freezing them for smoothies. Well, finally one morning I got to it. My banana bread must have walnuts in it. I just love the crunch it gives the bread. I hope you’ll enjoy this recipe! It was another Pintrest find.

Whole Wheat Walnut Banana Bread
adapted from 8 week to a better you recipe

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar free applesauce
3/4 cup honey
2 eggs, beaten
3 mashed overripe bananas
2/3 cup chopped walnuts.

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a loaf pan.
2. In a bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, mix applesauce, honey, eggs, and mashed bananas until well blended.
4. Stir banana mixture into dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Pour into loaf pan and bake for 55-65 minutes. Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.

Happy Friday!
Any cool weekend plans?

food-sweat-and-beers.com April 27, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I love banana bread, and basically all things banana. This is like a Greek tragedy, though, because my partner is severely allergic to bananas.

MY PLIGHT!

Made in Sonoma April 27, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Oh, no! I’ve never heard of anyone being allergic to bananas! That’s terrible!

Sonia the Mexigarian April 27, 2012 at 3:09 pm

The flower is either a zinnia, dahila or a mum aka chrysanthemum. They look pretty similar to each other. I am betting it’s a Mum of some sort, if not, a dahlia. I grew these on my balcony for a while and always forgot which one was which. lol. A local florist can let you know for sure.

And I got some ripe bananas sitting on the counter with a fresh bag of walnuts. It must be fate you posted this. lol.

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) April 27, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Thanks for the help!

Maren April 27, 2012 at 4:09 pm

I cant eat banana bread unless there is no chunks in it. I become like a dog who is getting a pill. It goes in, but it falls right back out. LOL… graphic!

I can’t tell you what the flower is, but it’s pretty and I’d name it sea-urchin like flower from the crustacean family.

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) April 27, 2012 at 4:12 pm

You’re hilarious. Ryder actually did that this week when we gave him heartgard, so I have the perfect visual of you.

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers April 27, 2012 at 4:50 pm

MMmmmm – sweet (or kinda sweet) breads are a real weakness of mine. I never stick to 1 or 2 slices at a time.

Kristine @ Running on Hungry April 28, 2012 at 11:02 pm

This looks FANTASTIC. I too need to have walnuts in my banana bread!!

Chloe@EveryCraving April 29, 2012 at 4:20 am

Walnuts and bananas are one of the best combinations out there. I love the addition of honey! Also that last picture of the bread is so pretty 🙂

Baking Serendipity April 30, 2012 at 2:52 am

I love fresh flowers and banana breads! I always make mine with walnuts too…it’s the husband’s favorite. PS: I’d love to know what kind of flower that is too! I can never get my flowers to last a week. (But maybe that’s because it’s always hot in my house!? Crazy, desert.)

Made in Sonoma April 30, 2012 at 3:09 am

I’m pretty sure they’re called White Spider Mums. 🙂 I just try to make sure to keep adding and changing the water out. Usually seems to help extend their lives. Those lasted about 2 weeks.

Patsy May 18, 2016 at 11:18 pm

Spider mums
A type of chrysanthemum ????????