Chickpea Cilantro Burgers

by Kelli H. on April 6, 2012

I first made the original recipe of these burgers back in 2006. They were the first bean burgers I’d ever had/made before. While I really liked them, the original recipe called for quite a bit of flat-leaf parsley. I’m not a huge fan of the herb, so I had didn’t make them again until about 2009 and then once again in 2011. Last week I was doing my meal planning and came across these bean burgers again. I knew I wanted to make them but that I was going to have to change it up a bit.

I subbed cilantro for parsley and panko for breadcrumbs. I gotta say, these little changes made such a huge difference. They went from being just okay bean burgers to now my new favorite! I’m actually making them again this week! I never do that.

Served with a large side of kale chips and you have an easy delicious meal! I’m totally repeating these burgers and keeping them in rotation. I reallllllyyy think you should give them a try!
Chickpea Cilantro Burgers
Adapted from Everyday Rachael Ray
1 (15oz) can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
1 (4oz) can diced green chiles
2/3 cup cilantro
2/3 cup panko bread crumbs
1 large egg, lightly beaten
olive oil to coat burgers
4 hamburger buns
condiments of your choice
1. In a food processor, pulse chickpeas, chiles, and cilantro until finely chopped. Transfer to a mixing bowl and stir in bread crumbs, egg, and salt & pepper to taste. Form 4 patties. Lightly brush patties with olive oil.
2. Heat grill pan over medium heat. Cook burgers for about 3-4 minutes on each side. Top with your favorite condiments and burger toppings.
Notes:
I made a spicy chipotle mayo by mixing about 2 tablespoons mayo with a chipotle ranch dressing. This went perfect with the burgers. I then topped it with spinach and red onion. So many possibilities here. I’m sure avocado would also be amazing with these.

Natalie @ Once Upon a Cutting Board April 6, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Mmm I love any kind of bean burger! Also love the idea of serving them with chipotle mayo and kale chips – never thought of that!

Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes April 6, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Kelli, those look awesome!! I’ve still never tried making burgers out of beans. I love the idea of using chickpeas. And the cilantro is a nice touch. They look delicious!

Made in Sonoma April 6, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Thanks! You need to try them!

Laura April 6, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Have you ever made quinoa burgers? I’ve made them from this recipe: http://eatingwelllivingthin.wordpress.com/2010/11/01/love-my-quinoa-burger/ subbing greek yogurt for the cottage cheese and omitting the carrots and sugar. I usually mix up the spices depending on what I have on hand. They are delicious! I guess I shouldn’t call them burgers since I never eat them with a bun…quinoa patties? They are super filling and delicious!

Made in Sonoma April 6, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Those look SO good. I’ve made a quinoa burger before but I thought they were kind of a flop. I’ll try these ones — Thanks!

Laura April 7, 2012 at 12:43 am

They are delish. I usually serve with chipotle sweet potato fries =) They are pretty mushy when you form them into the patties so make sure your oil is HOT when you put them in the pan so they hold their shape!

mom April 10, 2012 at 2:44 am

I just made them tonight. What a great veggie burger. I even had the chipotle mayo, too. Delish. Your dad was an instant fan even though usually when I say veggie burger he never jumps but he couldn’t stop talking about how good they were.

Made in Sonoma April 10, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Yay! Glad you guys enjoyed them!