Asian-Style Slaw

by Kelli H. on April 2, 2012

This salad was such a win. It was fast, healthy, and delicious. You can’t really beat that. At least, I don’t think you can…I made this for the first time yesterday for lunch. I was craving some fresh vegetables and when I was going through my recipe binder I came across an easy Asian-Style Slaw recipe that I had never tried before. I’m so glad I decided to make it for lunch because it’s totally worth sharing!

This makes about 4 servings and would be perfect as a side dish, lunch, light dinner, or pot luck. I think it’d be great to add some shredded carrots and top with some chopped peanuts. There are so many different variations you could do with this.

Asian-Style Slaw
Recipe adapted by Cooking Pleasures

1 (12 oz) bag Angel Hair Coleslaw
1 cup snow peas, thinly sliced lengthwise
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/4 cup green onions, sliced on a diagonal
1/2 large jalapeno, seeded and diced
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons honey
1/2 teaspoon salt

1. In a large bowl combine vegetables
2. In a small bowl whisk together rice vinegar through salt. Pour over vegetables and mix until combined.

Also, I want to mention that David entered his homebrew into a homebrewers competition and took home 1st place in his category of Specialty Beer. Not only did he win 1st in his category, he also took home Best of Show! I can’t even believe it! This was his first ever competition so we were both very surprised. I’m super happy for him and also a little for myself since I was assistant brewer if you remember from this post.  We’re planning on brewing some more Ryder’s Rye IPA very soon since more people want to try it now.

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers April 2, 2012 at 4:12 pm

That’s awesome! Congrats to David.

Side Note: nice growler

David Wells April 2, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Thanks for helping me brew Ryder’s Rye! And thanks for giving me the idea to even brew a Rye IPA! Couldn’t have done it without you, babe! 🙂

Thanks, Tiff! That growler is my trophy! I love it! 🙂

Also, this slaw was amazing for lunch yesterday!

Sonia the Mexigarian April 2, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Congrats on the win!! 😀 And that is a kick ass growler.

Can’t wait to start trying making my own home brew. Any suggestions on books or websites?

David Wells April 5, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Hey thanks, Sonia!
So you want to start making your own homebrew, huh? That’s AWESOME! There are lots of great resources out there, but some of my favorites are:
Books:
“How to Brew” by John Palmer
and
“The Complete Joy of Homebrewing” by Charlie Papazian
Both of those are excellent resources, and I use them all the time.

Websites:
The best resource on the web would be a homebrewing forum, and I think the most popular one is http://www.homebrewtalk.com
I’ve been a member there for a few months, and its a very active and helpful community. If you have specific questions homebrewtalk is a great place to ask!

Sonia the Mexigarian April 17, 2012 at 4:57 pm

sorry for the late reply! thanks for the info David. I definetly want to make some of my own brew and the helps a lot 🙂 i’m going to give it a try hopefully in the up coming months. how long have you been brewing for and what sparked your interest in it? Just curious.

For me, all the small (and big) breweries I was introduced to in San Diego and ‘disovering’ the amazing differences in taste. One of my favorites has to be a Honey Ale from Rock Bottom in La Jolla. I think that was my first ‘legal’ drink when in turned 21. lol.

Whoops long reply.

Chelsea @ Naturally Sweet Recipes April 2, 2012 at 5:46 pm

That salad looks so light and refreshing! Congrats to David!! That’s exciting!

Natalie @ Once Upon a Cutting Board April 3, 2012 at 1:51 am

Congrats on the win, I don’t know anything about those competitions but it sounds like a big deal! The slaw looks great too!

Baking Serendipity April 3, 2012 at 3:30 am

You’re right…this makes such a perfect lunch! I love salads, especially when the weather is warmer. PS: Congrats to the man! So cool!!

Shellie April 8, 2012 at 3:37 pm

I am going to try the slaw with tomorrow’s dinner, looks so good and light.

And again Congrats to you David…not only doing something you love, but WINNING 1st place…this has to feel amazing!

Can’t wait to try RR with a BBQ steak! mmmmm good!