Meyer Lemon Bars

by Kelli H. on March 16, 2012

I’ve mentioned before that my Nanny has a meyer lemon tree. I’m so thankful because I don’t think I’d cook and bake with meyer lemons nearly as much as I do. A few years ago I set out to make the best lemon bars I could. I quickly found Paula Deen’s recipe and of course wanted to try it. I knew I’d have to make some changes to the Queen of Butter’s recipe. I’ve cut the amount of sugar in half and have upped the flavor of lemon.

I’m kind of picky when it comes to lemon bars. I find that they are usually too sweet for my taste and don’t have nearly enough lemon flavor. I can’t stand lemon bars from a box.

I think if you make these, you’ll be pretty happy with them. I’ve had many people taste and devour them. That’s usually a pretty good sign. I hope you enjoy them!

Meyer Lemon Bars
adapted from Paula Deen

Crust:
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup confectioners sugar, plus more for dusting
pinch of salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temp.

Filling:
4 eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/2 cup lemon juice
zest of 1 lemon

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl combine; flour, confectioners sugar, salt, and butter. Cut in the butter until mixture is crumbly. Press the mixture into a greased 13×9 baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes.
3. In a medium bowl whisk together; eggs, sugar, flour, lemon juice, and zest. Pour over the baked crust. Bake for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar when cooled.

Notes:
If you don’t use meyer lemons, you may want to up the sugar in the filling. Meyer lemons aren’t as tart as regular lemons.

Nanny March 16, 2012 at 3:04 pm

My mom, your great grandma used to make these when I was a kid and I loved them, the recipe might be a little different but it’s pretty close to it. Yum

Made in Sonoma March 16, 2012 at 4:35 pm

I love hearing about what great grandma use to bake. I wish I could have met her.

Megan Pence March 16, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Tastes like spring to me!!! I have a feeling I’m going to be making more lemon bars this weekend too since my boss brought me back a bag full of lemons from his house in SoCal… gotta put them to good use.

Made in Sonoma March 16, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Awesome! I love trying to use them in as many ways as possible. I especially love chicken picata — yum!

Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes March 16, 2012 at 3:55 pm

These look perfect! Lemon bars are one of my favorite treats. They look so delicious, and California has the best lemons for them!

Chloe@EveryCraving March 16, 2012 at 5:22 pm

NEED TO MAKE THESE. I’ve never had meyer lemons before but I love lemon bars!

mexigarian March 16, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Love anything with lemon 🙂 Though I have never had a homemade lemon bar. The pictures are beautiful too.

Natalie @ Once Upon a Cutting Board March 18, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I went on a search for the perfect lemon bar recipe recently to bring to a brunch but I was disappointed with the results .. I’ll have to try this one next!

Sarah March 19, 2012 at 12:21 am

Yum! That looks so delicious, definitely have to give it a go sometime 🙂