It’s so nice arugula is readily available these days. Wow — I totally sounded like an old person there. Well, seriously, back when I first became aware of arugula (don’t ask me when), I couldn’t find it in the stores anywhere! Now, it’s every where, and for that I am thankful. I’m thankful that now I can use arugula to top my pizzas and make them look like they came from a fancy shmacy restaurant.
Not only does this pizza have delicious peppery arugula on it, it also has delicious bacon and tomatoes! It’s a pretty simple pizza, but it’s quickly become one of my favorites. I’ll definitely be making this one again and again.
Sorry about the camera phones pictures, but sometimes it’s all I have time for when my stomach is growling, and I smell delicious pizza right out of the oven.
Bacon, Tomato, & Arugula Pizza
adapted from Cooking Light October 2011
1 pizza dough
5 pieces thick cut bacon, chopped
2 cups grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon cornmeal
1/2 cup marinara sauce
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup baby arugula
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1. Preheat oven & pizza stone (preferably) to 500 degrees.
2. Cook bacon in skillet until crisp, remove from heat. Add in tomatoes, cook for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. Take pizza stone out of oven or baking sheet and sprinkle with cornmeal. Roll dough into circle or to fit sheet. Spread with sauce evenly. Top with tomatoes and bacon. Sprinkle cheese all over. Bake for about 15 minutes.
4. In a bowl combine arugula, olive oil, and white wine vinegar.
5. Remove pizza from oven and top with arugula mixture.
I really can’t stress enough how awesome a pizza stone is. Anyone who makes pizza at home on a regular basis should invest in one. Since I make homemade pizza about 3 times a month, I’m very thankful for mine.
I used this roasted bell pepper marinara sauce from Whole Foods. It’s super cheap and was really delicious on this pizza.