Lemon Poppy Seed Scones

by Kelli H. on February 3, 2012

I started with a large bowl of meyer lemons last week and was able to come up with Meyer Lemon Buttermilk Pancakes, Sparkling Lemonade, Lemon Sherbet, and now, Lemon Poppy Seed Scones. I’d say I used up my bowl of meyer lemons in the best ways possible.

On Friday night before falling asleep I knew I wanted to create one more recipe using up the remaining lemons. I started dreaming about lemon scones and in the morning, I hopped out of bed and got to making scones. I’m really a huge scone fan, but mostly of homemade scones. The ones you can buy at Starbucks are so dry. These are somewhat dry like you expect a scone to be, but also flaky, and crumbly in all the right spots.

They were fairly easy to make and were ready to eat for breakfast in no time. I’m sure anyone you share them with will love them. They were especially tasty hot out of the oven. Enjoy!

Lemon Poppy Seed Scones

1 3/4 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons poppy seeds
1 Tablespoon lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into thin slices
2/3 cup buttermilk

1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Combine flour through salt in a medium-sized bowl.
2. With a pastry blender or your hands (my favorite!), cut in butter until mixture resembles pea size pieces. Stir in buttermilk until mixture comes away from the edge of the bowl.
3. On a lightly floured surface pat dough into a 6 1/2″ circle; cut into 8 pieces.
4. Bake on a baking sheet lined with a silpat of parchment paper for 12-15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Glaze when cooled.

For the glaze:
lemon juice
powdered sugar

1. Mix lemon juice with powdered sugar until smooth and desired consistency. The amount of lemon juice needed is minimal, and the amount of powdered sugar is more than expected. I used about 2 tablespoons lemon juice to 1/3 cup powdered sugar.

Happy Weekend!
Are you a fan of scones?
If not,
try making them at home!
so much better than store bought.

Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes February 3, 2012 at 3:49 pm

I love scones!! Especially lemon! I agree, homemade are a completely different treat. Love the buttermilk in the scones, that would give so much moistness and flavor! They look yummy!

my little celebration February 3, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Ooh yummy! Coincidentally I love scones AND lemon! Thanks for sharing – I must make these soon 😀

Laurie {Simply Scratch} February 3, 2012 at 11:29 pm

You had me at lemon! YUM!

Kim @ Eat, Live, and Blog February 3, 2012 at 11:42 pm

I bought a bag of lemon and I’ve only used it for my blueberry cake. I need to use it more to make scones! I’ve actually never had a scone before, but I’ve been dying to make my own soon to try it out. Yours look wonderful and sounds delicious!

Made in Sonoma February 4, 2012 at 12:10 am

You should definitely try making scones soon! I’m sure yours would turn out beautiful!

Jenn (eating bender) February 4, 2012 at 4:15 pm

These look amazing! I’ve tried making scones before but they did not turn out very scone-like. :o) I love lemon poppy seed, though, so I may have to give these a try and redeem myself!

Chloe@LightOnMyFeet February 5, 2012 at 5:19 pm

I’ve never had scones before but I really want to! Especially lemon flavored! I love lemon 🙂

Shellie March 5, 2015 at 9:32 pm

Okay i tried this and followed the directions…but are you sure it’s 2/3 cup buttermilk? i could not get this to form a ball and had to bake it like bread! haha
I think i will leave the baking in this family to you Kelli!

Kelli H. March 6, 2015 at 6:11 am

Usually with scone dough it’s very dry in my experience. You don’t want to over mix it. There should be flakes of butter still visible and it should be crumbly. I’m sorry it didn’t work for you!

Shellie March 7, 2015 at 5:37 pm

yup you were right…i did 1 2/3 cup butter milk! I am going to try this again! haha

Kelli H. March 8, 2015 at 8:24 am

hahaha, hope it works this time!