French Press: Kelli & David’s Way

by Kelli H. on February 22, 2012

Since so many people have asked me how David and I drink our coffee on the weekends and are wondering what in the world this “faux latte” stuff is, I thought I’d address it in this post.

Just kidding, no one has asked me that, but since I’m super nice and love to share, I thought I’d tell you how it’s done anyway!
Today I’m giving you a step-by-step guide on how to make French press like a champ! I mean, like me and David…
 First off, here are the some of the tools we use to make our French press. Yes, that chop stick is important. It’s the ultimate stirring stick. I highly recommend one.

Ground coffee is super important, too! We usually go with Peet’s or Starbucks. We both prefer Peet’s but there is a Starbucks centrally located near our house (of course…). We usually buy a small amount at a time to keep it super fresh. So, when we go to the coffee shop, we order “1/4 pound house blend, ground for French press”. Then they look at us and say “Wait, 1/4 pound? Are you sure?”. I guess most people don’t order that little? We’re only 2 people drinking it on the weekends! It makes sense to only keep a little on hand.

While you boil some water on the stove in a small pot, pour two scoops coffee grounds directly into your French press. Fill the French press with water to the brim. Let sit for 1 minute.

After sitting for one minute, stir the coffee grounds vigorously with your chop stick! The grounds will fall to the bottom while you stir.

Put the top on, but don’t push it down! Set your time for three minutes and wait. You should also be warming up your milk at this point.

After the three minutes, push it down slowly until it reaches the bottom and you can’t push any further.

Froth your warmed milk (140-160 degrees). Then again, only froth your milk if you’re into faux lattes, like we are! More froth the better.

Last step is to combine everything together. David uses 2 teaspoons of sugar in my faux lattes. Into the cup goes, sugar, French pressed coffee, warmed milk, and then topped with froth.
That is how we make our French press every weekend morning.
It’s pretty much
da
BOMB.

How do you enjoy your coffee?
I drink a latte every Friday at work.
I only drink French press on
Sat & Sun.
Otherwise, I try to limit my coffee intake.
Unless, I have a darn
headache…

MigraineMe February 22, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I drink Starbucks venti iced non-fat latte as a treat on the weekends and the rest of the week its boring coffee with non-fat milk from the Tossimo. You mentioned in your post that you drink coffee when you have a headache? Is it any caffeine or just coffee that helps your headaches?

Made in Sonoma February 22, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Sometimes any caffeine will help, but I just usually go with coffee. My headaches are usually more in the a.m.
I’ve read so many different sources, some that say a little bit of caffeine every day can help, to caffeine makes it worse. In my experience, it’s helped.

Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes February 22, 2012 at 7:40 pm

I don’t drink coffee, but this sure sounds amazing! That french press looks like such handy tool. Do you ever use it to make anything else?

Made in Sonoma February 22, 2012 at 7:45 pm

I’ve never thought to use it for anything else. Got any ideas?

Kim @ Eat, Live, and Blog February 22, 2012 at 10:47 pm

I love drinking coffee in the morning. I should really invest in a french press and froth my milk! :)

Brittany @ Ittybitsofbalance February 23, 2012 at 12:34 am

Would you believe me if I told you that I’ve NEVER used a French press or a frother! And WHAT!? Frothing your milk beforehand makes it look like that?!

What kind do you have? I need to get in on this

Made in Sonoma February 23, 2012 at 1:30 am

The brand is Bonjour and I think it’s from amazon, but it was a gift, so I’m not 100% which model. You should get one!!

Baking Serendipity February 23, 2012 at 4:18 am

I maybe should be limiting my coffee…I think I drink a little more each day and this guide is definitely going to increase it :) I have been wanting a milk frother forever. Clearly, it’s a necessity. Your coffee looks fantastic!

Wanna Be A Country Cleaver February 23, 2012 at 4:35 am

The french press is the only “true” way to enjoy a coffee. Except for last sunday – I broke mine. And now I’m sad. Tragically. Sad. Guess I better register us for a new one!! :) And a frother. That too. ~Megan

mexigarian February 23, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I hardly ever drink coffee. It’s Eric’s thing. Ever now and then I sip from his mug. I don’t think I have ever had a french press coffee though. . .

Catalina @ Cake with Love February 23, 2012 at 8:03 pm

I love my coffee presser, I dont drink coffee but I make tea in eat, it is so convinient!

Made in Sonoma February 23, 2012 at 8:38 pm

I need to try that!

Carlie February 27, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Agreed! Tea is super yummy when you make it in a coffee presser!

Sarah February 24, 2012 at 10:28 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

Sarah February 24, 2012 at 10:28 am

Yum, I love fresh coffee! My dad makes it properly, like you do, but I just never seem to have time. Trying to cut back on my caffeine too but it’s just so hard!

Anna @ Food Fitness Frolicking February 24, 2012 at 7:21 pm

AMEN for french pressed coffee. It’s just so rich, and smooth and simple. Oh, and I definitely loved your photo captions, ha. But really, frothed milk is just divine.

My favorite way to enjoy coffee is with a bit of milk or I go for a full out Cafe au Lait when I’m out and about :)

David Wells March 2, 2012 at 4:21 pm

mmm… there’s nothing like our weekend French Press Coffee. :) It really has a great rich flavor to it that’s hard to beat.