Cherry-Pecan Oatmeal Cookies

by Kelli H. on February 17, 2012

Can I tell you a secret? Before eating these cookies, I was kind of scared of dried cherries. I even considered changing the recipe to Cranberry-Peacan Oatmeal Cookies. I am so glad I didn’t. I loved the cherries! They were bigger than cranberries, softer, and more tart. I absolutely loved it!

Wanna know another secret? I do not drink milk with my cookies. That glass — it’s a sham. I just poured it for the picture. I drink water with my sweets. So, those cookies were enjoyed with a pint size glass of water. That’s the truth. Well, in all honesty, I didn’t even eat those cookies. I ate some other ones. I ate the ugly ones. I do that. I pick out the ugliest ones and I eat those. I also make David eat the ugly ones. That way, when I share them with others, there’s only the pretty ones left.

This recipe makes a lot of cookies! I love that in a cookie recipe. It made that whole plate, plus about 4 or 5 more that David and I ate. You know, the ugly ones… I brought that platter to work and it was demolished! This recipe is a crowd pleaser.

Cherry-Pecan Oatmeal Cookies
adapted from Rachael Ray Everyday

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, room temp.
1.5 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups old-fashioned oats
1.5 cups peacans, chopped & toasted
1.25 cups dried cherries

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silpalt. In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugars until creamy. Add in the eggs 1 at a time, then the vanilla. Gradually add in the flour mixture until just combined. Stir in the oats, pecans, and cherries.
3. Drop about 1.5 tablespoon sized balls of dough on the cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Bake for 15 minutes. Let the cookies sit on the cookie sheet for about 3-5 minutes before removing them to a wire rack to cool.

Notes:
I used 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1 cup all-purpose flour. I think using all whole wheat would work fine in this recipe.
If sugar is a concern for you, I also think you could get away with less sugar. Maybe forgo the granulated sugar all together or do 1 cup brown.

Natalie @ Once Upon a Cutting Board February 17, 2012 at 3:23 pm

I do the exact same thing with any baked goods I make – the ugly broken ones get saved for myself, the second ugliest ones get saved for my bf and family, and the prettiest ones are reserved for pictures and other people haha – seems like it should be the opposite!
I’m scared of dried cherries just because of the cost, but I know they taste good and I’ve been meaning to try baking with them for a while. These cookies sound great!

Made in Sonoma February 17, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Does seem like we should deserve the pretty ones!

Definitely try them! The dried cherries I bought were on sale for $3/bag. Otherwise, you’re right, between the pecans and the cherries, these cookies were a little expensive.

Tiff February 17, 2012 at 6:40 pm

It’s okay, I’ll take some off your hands 🙂

MigraineMe February 17, 2012 at 10:54 pm

I love that the milk is a sham for the picture, but the pictures look so great, as do the cookies (and milk)!

Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes February 18, 2012 at 1:23 am

I’m so glad you mentioned the cherry thing because I was thinking the same thing! I don’t think I’ve had dried cherries too much, but I know I love cranberries. These cookies look delicious and make me want to try them with the cherries. I love the pecans in them too!

Kim @ Eat, Live, and Blog February 18, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Your cookies looks delicious!!

I love dried cherry more than dried cranberries. They are great in salad with pears as well!
I don’t usually drink with my dessert as well. Haha.

Baking Serendipity February 20, 2012 at 4:59 am

Costco definitely got me hooked on dried cherries. We bought a giant bag once and haven’t looked back since! PS: My husband always drinks the glass of milk in my pictures…so I’m kind of a sham there too 🙂

Anna @ Food Fitness Frolicking February 21, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Ohmygoodness. These cookies look delicious!!!!!

grass fed beef manitoba February 21, 2012 at 5:32 pm

I love how you put the oatmeal cookies and milk together in the picture it’s very cute.

Made in Sonoma February 21, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Thanks!

Kathryn @ Flopoodle February 21, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Dried fruit and oats mean these are healthy, right???

Made in Sonoma February 21, 2012 at 10:06 pm

of course!

lynn @ the actor's diet February 22, 2012 at 5:45 am

mmm dried cherries!!! i have to add those to my grocery list now…

mOm August 17, 2012 at 3:57 am

Now, I remember why this became my favorite cookie 6 months ago… Just made them myself and patiently waiting for more in the oven. Don’t worry, I’ll share.

Made in Sonoma August 17, 2012 at 4:29 am

Yay! I can’t wait till tomorrow morning!