What Does Your Smoothie Say About You?

by Kelli H. on January 11, 2012

All over the blogsphere (I love that word), bloggers have been sharing green monster recipes, and other smoothie recipes. While I think it’s a funny time to be posting smoothie recipes (Hello! It’s January!), I understand why.

Smoothies are a great way to pack in multiple high-nutrient foods into your diet. With the new year beginning, people feel more inclined to try to be healthier, and that’s something I completely support. I usually enjoy smoothies year round but way more often in the warmer months. My house is already cold enough in the winter without me slurping down an ice cold smoothie!

Last winter I was really into adding oatmeal to my smoothies for extra fiber, but eventually my smoothies were getting too heavy. For now, I’ve cut that out. In all honesty, I don’t usually add spinach to my smoothies. I’m not saying I never have, but it’s not always a requirement. This year, I’m going to make it a point to add more spinach into my diet. Smoothies are a great way to do this!

The three main ingredients that ALWAYS go into my smoothies are:

Strawberries
Blueberries
Banana

I usually use water as my liquid, but if I have it on hand, I use coconut milk. I LOVE it. It makes any smoothie taste tropical. It also really covers up any spinach taste. Some people have said spinach has no taste, but I’m really unsure of what they’re talking about. Spinach does have a taste!

Now, I’m not providing you with a recipe because I just don’t understand smoothie recipes. I think smoothies are meant to be thrown together. I can’t picture myself measuring out frozen fruit to blend together. I just throw stuff in and adjust if it needs it. The blender above was not just for me, I shared with David. I also ended up adding about a cup of water. I recently added some left over natural apple juice from Whole Foods and that tasted mighty good! I love that you can add any liquid to it; water, coconut water, milk, coconut milk, soy milk, almond milk, juices, etc.

I’m not sure what my smoothie says about me. I don’t add protein powder to my smoothies. I really hate the texture it gives them. I know tons of people do though. I would really love to stock up on some Super Foods and add some of that scary looking green stuff to mine in the future.

I guess you could conclude that I’m not worried about my protein intake. Does the addition of coconut milk make you wonder if I care about fat content? Does the spinach show you I’m trying? Who knows.

When I make a smoothie, I’m trying to get some more fruits (& possibly veggies) into my diet. Smoothies are easy to make and I happen to love them. After yoga on Thursday nights it’s usually too late for me to start cooking, so dinner might result in a smoothie. If I don’t have much on hand for a weekend lunch, I make a smoothie. If dinner was a light salad, and I’m still hungry an hour later, I make a smoothie.

I’m interested in knowing what you think your smoothie says about you.

Jenn (eating bender) January 11, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Strawberries, blueberries and bananas are always a staple in my smoothies, too. I’ve never tried one with coconut milk, though – it sounds amazing!

Maren January 11, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Ooo coconut milk in smoothies sounds delicious! Love coconuts. Okay so I just discovered Recipage and it’s an awesome way to store your recipes and incorporate your archive on your blog. You should check it out, it’s free! http://www.recipage.com

Made in Sonoma January 11, 2012 at 6:30 pm

@Maren
I know, I’ve been thinking about recipage.com for a while now, but just haven’t had time to deal w/ it. I’m going to check it out soon though!

Alyse January 12, 2012 at 12:22 am

Agreed – smoothies are meant to be improvised, and thrown together with what you have on hand! I do think that green smoothies can be intimidating at first, though, so having a recipe to get started with might help some people ease into an unfamiliar food 🙂

Katie @ Oh Shine On January 12, 2012 at 5:31 am

I love this post and totally agree with everything you said! Fat… why not? Greens… let’s be healthy. Fruits… obviously! Make your smoothie however you want it, so long as it tastes good to you!

Jane January 12, 2012 at 6:24 am

Your smoothie says your awesome. Obviously. I need to try the light coconut milk. I bet it would be amazing. I personally love the taste of protein powder so its a must in my smoothies. Sometimes I even at oats!

courtney (pancakes and postcards) January 12, 2012 at 6:29 am

beautiful pics and totally agreed. my smoothies in an ideal world have frozen banana, peanut butter, and chocolate milk. i do NOT want to know what that says about me. 🙂

Anna @ Food Fitness Frolicking January 13, 2012 at 3:51 am

I love this post and I completely agree that you don’t really need a smoothie ‘recipe’. Smoothies should be thrown together..even if you are given an idea for the ingredients. I mean, just yesterday I threw spinach, mangos, peanut butter, and almond milk into the blender and it was sooooo delicious! Who knew?

Made in Sonoma January 13, 2012 at 2:32 pm

MMM…I love mango in smoothies. I’ve also been really wanting to try almond milk in them.

wallopingteaspoon January 14, 2012 at 3:11 pm

I had a “green” smoothie for the first time about a month ago in Mexico, and it changed my mind about adding veggies into my blender mix. The one I had was a combo of orange, pineapple, mango, and spinach, and it was so delicious, sweet, and tart, that I’m no longer afraid of throwing a handful of greens in with my fruit. The flavor wasn’t even detectable, and what a super easy way to add a serving of veggies into your diet.

Made in Sonoma January 14, 2012 at 4:15 pm

The fruits in that green smoothie sound delicious! I’ll have to try it out.