Sweet Potato Oatmeal Cookies

by Kelli H. on December 9, 2011

I had to postpone my original post today because when I saw these cookies, I just knew. I just knew, I’d have to make them that night! They were screaming at me, “BAKE ME, KELLI!”. So, I did what any self-respecting woman would do. I got in the kitchen and I baked the hell out of those cookies. Ok, I admit, I may be going a little overboard, but to be fair, I’ve claimed these as my new favorite cookies. Who wouldn’t want to share their new favorite cookie recipe with their blog readers?

People, I’ve been overwhelmed lately. Have you been on foodgawker? Have you been on other food blogs? They’re being taken over by cookie recipes, and here I am, contributing to the madness! I thought this year might be different. I thought maybe — just maybe I’d bake less this season since I am headed to Hawaii in a few short week and should be watching my fig-er. But whatdayaknow? I’m not…Instead I ate 4 or 10 of my new favorite cookies.

Sweet Potato Oatmeal Cookies
Adapted by The Daily Crumb

1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp.
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup cooked and pureed sweet potato (or canned)
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup unbleached a.p. flour
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In the bowl of a mixer; combine butter and sugars. Beat until smooth and combined. Add in egg, make sure it’s thoroughly combined. Add in sweet potato and vanilla and beat until smooth.
2. In a separate bowl; mix wheat flour through nutmeg together. Slowly add into wet mixture and beat until just combined.
3. On a baking sheet; drop 1 heaping tablespoon balls of dough about 1/2″ from each other, and bake for 12-15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack and enjoy!

Just curious, what is your favorite cookie?
Are you particularly excited about a cookie recipe you saw online?

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers December 9, 2011 at 5:54 pm

I love sweet potatoes, oatmeal, and cookies. Sounds like a winner!

My favorite cookies are any ones that are chewy, soft, and thick. Perhaps chocolate chip and sugar, but it’s more about texture than type.

Laura December 9, 2011 at 6:01 pm

I just made these amazing beauties: http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/toasted-coconut-toffee-chocolate-chip-cookies/

But subbed the coconut extract with extra almond extract and took them out of the oven a minute early (i learned that on the second batch since I like chewy cookies). They were Ah-Maz-Ing. I am obsessed. So much so that I need to ban myself from making them again.

btw: I found your blog through Kat’s blog and I LOVE all of your recipes and beer reviews =)

Made in Sonoma December 9, 2011 at 6:07 pm

@Laura Those look so tasty! I would have to ban myself from them too! haha.

I’m so glad you found my blog! 🙂

David December 9, 2011 at 6:50 pm

I can vouch for these. They are AH-MAZ-ING. So much so that they should come with a warning label because they are really difficult to stop eating!

Anna @ Food Fitness Frolicking December 10, 2011 at 3:56 am

Gosh, these look so so good. And your photos are lovely!

Why YES I’ve been on foodgawker..and you’re right..the whole blog world is being taken over by cookies cookies and more cookies! Is that a good or a bad thing? Hmmm 🙂

Made in Sonoma December 10, 2011 at 4:29 am

@Anna @ Food Fitness Frolicking
Ha! It’s a bad thing if you’re me and can’t resist them…

Shannon from Healthiful Balance December 10, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Those cookies look so good! I’ve never though of using sweet potatos in cookies but it sounds pretty awesome! 🙂

Kim @ Eat, Live, and Blog December 10, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Those cookies look fantastic!!! Seriously, I love anything with sweet potato in it. My favorite cookie is white chocolate and macadamia cookies. 🙂

Made in Sonoma December 11, 2011 at 4:01 am

@Kim @ Eat, Live, and Blog
I think those might be a close 2nd for me!

kathleen @ the daily crumb December 12, 2011 at 10:33 pm