Caramel Sauce

by Kelli H. on December 5, 2011

When I was younger I wasn’t a huge chocolate fan. I even told people I didn’t like chocolate. Crazy now, I know. Back then, my favorite was caramel. I’m still a huge caramel sauce girl though. I love it. When I make this caramel sauce I lick the spoon clean and the pot too…

This is a basic caramel sauce recipe and it is great for dipping granny smith apples in. At least that’s one of my favorite ways to enjoy it. I’ve also used it in coffee and it’s amazing! It adds a great depth of flavor. It would work well on a plated dessert as well. Around this time of the year though, it would be excellent as a homemade Christmas gift. Believe me, people will love it!

Don’t let hot bubbling sugar scare you away from this recipe. It really is easy, if you have patience.
Caramel Sauce
Recipe by Rachael Ray Everyday
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup heavy cream
1. In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and 1/3 cup water over medium heat. Stir occasionally until the sugar is dissolved. This takes about 2-4 minutes. Use a pastry brush to coat the walls of the saucepan with water if any sugar crystallizes on the sides. Increase the heat to high and cook. Do not stir at this point. Let it cook for about 5-15 minutes depending on the color of the sugar. You want it to be an amber color. Remove from heat.
2. Wearing oven mitts, slowly stir in 2 tablespoons of cream, 1 at a time. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the remaining cream into the caramel. Cook, stirring, over low heat until combined, about 3 minutes.

Note: In all honesty though, caramel can be difficult to make. I’d be lying if I said I’ve never had trouble with this. One night I tried making it and it took 3 attempts! If you follow the directions carefully and wait till the right color, you should have no problems.

Have you ever made caramel at home?

Katie December 5, 2011 at 12:45 pm

You’re so brave! Caramel is definitely harder than you’d think, I almost always burn it. And one time is bubbled out and burned my face -ouch! But if you get it right, it’s SO good when homemade. YUM.

Made in Sonoma December 5, 2011 at 2:51 pm

@Katie
Ouch! That sounds terrible! I think everyone must have some type of caramel horror story. haha

Kim @ Eat, Live, and Blog December 5, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I always wanted to make my own caramel sauce but just haven’t had the chance to yet. I bet it taste 10 times better than store bought ones!

{JANE} December 5, 2011 at 7:27 pm

I have never made my own caramel sauce but I definitely have plans too! I even bought a candy thermometer in preparation! Looks so fun & not too hard!

Made in Sonoma December 5, 2011 at 7:29 pm

@{JANE}
I bought a candy thermometer last year and still haven’t used it! I’d like to make some peanut brittle this season though.

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum December 5, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Yes, I’ve made caramel at home. Sort of. It totally failed because it was supposed to be soft like caramel candy, and it was basically liquid. but it tasted nice on ice cream! 🙂

Maren December 6, 2011 at 4:55 am

Okay I have a weird/funny story about caramel. In 11th grade I took a cooking class and we did the 7 stages of sugar, the last one being caramel (duh). Well my group poured our caramel down the drain after finishing our lab and it hardened in the drain and the class couldn’t use that cooking station for the rest of the year………… Please send me a jar of this caramel since I am no longer allowed to make it. 😉

Made in Sonoma December 6, 2011 at 5:26 am

@Maren
That is hilarious! I wish I had cooking classes in high school. That would have been so fun. I remember in my baking and pastry classes how terrifying they made caramel seem. I guess it can be a pain/dangerous…lol.

Kathryn @ Flopoodle December 6, 2011 at 5:55 am

I bet this would be a lot tastier than the stuff I buy at the store! Maybe I’ll make a sundae with this sometime soon…

Allison December 6, 2011 at 9:44 pm

I love caramel sauce. I literally lick everythingas well. I loved the caramel sundae no nuts from McDonald’s growing up. I can only imagine how far your sauce would blow this out of the water! Yum.