Since Monday David and I have been having salads for every lunch and dinner. Last week I found so many deliciously beautiful salads online that I wanted to make them all immediately. Since I was feeling rather large, I thought it would be nice to have lighter meals. Well, some of the salads I’ve been really excited for just haven’t lived up to the expectations. This one on the other hand was dee-licious — for me, that is. David on the other hand mentioned he didn’t care for a particular spice in this salad. It’s the curried cashews and while I can understand his feelings, I don’t agree. I really liked the curried cashews. I thought it gave the salad even more depth. In the future for David’s sake, I think I’ll forgo the cashews altogether and try toasted pecans or walnuts.
Curried Cashew, Apple, & Grape Salad
Adapted from The Sweets Life
3/4 cup cashews
4 slices bacon, sliced 1″ pieces
1 T melted butter
1 t curry powder
1 T brown sugar
1/2 t kosher salt
pinch of red pepper flakes
1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 T white wine vinegar
1 1/2 T Dijon mustard
1 T honey
salt & pepper to taste
1 (10 oz) package mixed greens
1 medium apple, sliced paper thin
1/2 cup grapes, sliced in half
1. In a medium size skillet, toast cashews on low heat for about 5 minutes. The may begin to appear lightly browned and give off an aroma. Remove cashews into a bowl.
2. Return skillet to medium-high heat and add bacon, cook until crisp. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with a paper towel to soak up excess grease.
3. In the same bowl as the cashews add in butter, curry powder, brown sugar, salt, and red pepper flakes. Stir to coat. You could forgo this step and add in plain nuts to step 5.
3. In a bowl stir together white wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, and honey. Quickly whisk in olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Toss mixed greens with dressing. Once plated top with grapes, cashews, apple slices, and bacon. Add on extra ground pepper (if you’re like me!).