When I first spotted this recipe on the blogsphere I knew it would only be a matter of time until I would be making it in my own kitchen. I mean, seriously! This bread is just a show stopper. How come no one hasn’t thought of this before?! What could be better than pizza in a loaf form?? I’m not sure.
Pizza Swirl Bread
adapted from How Sweet It Is
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup warm water
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
1 large egg
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 garlic cloves, minced
6 ounces mozzarella cheese, freshly grated
4 ounces grated parmesan cheese, plus more for sprinkling
pepperoni (depends how much you’d like)
1/3 cup tomato sauce, or more if desired
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1. In a small saucepan combine milk and butter. Heat until small bubbles form around the pans edges and then remove from heat.
2. Measure 1/4 cup warm water and combine with yeast and sugar. Let sit 5-10 minutes or until foamy.
3. Whisk egg with the milk mixture. Using an electric mixture with the dough hook combine flour and salt and combine on low speed. Still on low speed, add in the milk mixture slowly and then the yeast mixture. Turn speed up to medium and let mix for 5-6 minutes. Remove dough from bowl and place on lightly floured surface. Knead dough for about another minute by hand.
4. Let dough sit for 1 hour or until double in size in a greased bowl. This is where I’d use a heating pad on low under the bowl or find a warm spot in your house.
5. Preheat oven to 350 and spray/butter loaf pan.
6. After the dough has risen, punch the dough down and then roll out into a rectangle about 8 x 12 inches. Spread tomato sauce on dough, followed by garlic, Italian seasoning, mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, and ending with parmesan. Roll dough from one short end to the other. Gently spread with olive oil and sprinkle with parmesan. Place rolled dough in loaf pan and let rise for about another 30 minutes.
7. Bake for 45-50 minutes. Once done baking let sit for 30 minutes.
The great thing about this idea is you could use any pizza toppings you’d like. I think pesto would be so delicious!