Monkey Bread

by Kelli H. on August 27, 2011

This is what heaven is like…

at least my heaven…
There isn’t much more to you tell about this monkey bread besides it fills your house with the most amazing smells. Your long time boyfriend/husband may tell you to never bake anything else ever again.
Mine did.
“No need to ever bake any other baked goods again.”
That’s what he told me

1 cup brown sugar
2 t’s ground cinnamon
8 T’s unsalted butter (1 stick), melted

Glaze:
1 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons milk

1. Butter pan with 2 tablespoon’s softened butter. It doesn’t have to be a bundt pan (believe me, it’s still delicious! I used a 9″ spring foam pan)
2. In a large measuring cup combine, milk, water, sugar, melted butter, and yeast. Let sit for a few minutes to get the yeast working. Meanwhile, mix flour and salt together on low with a dough hook in standing mixer.  Slowly add the liquid into the flour. After dough comes together increase speed to medium and mix for about 6-7 minutes until dough is shiny, smooth, and round.  Coat a large bowl with cooking spray and let the dough sit in the bowl, covered in a warm space for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
3. While the dough is rising work on the sugar coating.  Mix brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Place melted butter into a bowl and set aside.
4. Gently remove the dough from the bowl onto a lightly floured work surface. Pat dough into a 8″ x 8″ square. Using a bench scraper or knife cut dough into 64 pieces.
5. Roll each dough piece into a ball and dip into the melted butter. Let the excess butter drip off the ball. Next, roll buttered dough ball into the brown sugar coating. Layer dough balls into your buttered pan and stagger the seams.
6. Cover the pan and place in warm area again for another 60-70 minutes until dough balls are puffy and have risen 1-2″ from top of the pan.
7. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place pan in oven and bake for 30-35 minutes. Cool in pan for 5 minutes and remove onto a platter to cool for about 10 more minutes.
8. For the glaze whisk the confectioners’ sugar with the milk until smooth. Drizzle glaze all over the warm monkey bread.
Prebaked after rising again for an hour
Right out of the oven after baking for 30 minutes
After digging in…
**One secret I like to use when making bread at home is to use a heating pad. I have no idea if this is a bad thing but I’ve used it a couple times now and it works perfect! I just turn my heating pad on, put it under or on top of the bowl and let it sit like that. It totally speeds up the process and the dough actually rises in the allotted time. Usually my doughs take longer because our house is always freezing!**
Do you like to share cooking/baking secrets?
Or do you like to keep them to yourself so everyone wonders how you did it?
I like to share my secrets!

mom August 27, 2011 at 4:28 pm

That looks amazing. I have seen that before but I didn’t know it was called Monkey Bread. I’m on my way over to get a taste right now!

btw, I like sharing “secrets” – if somebody makes something and uses my secrets, all the better. It actually bothers me when you really like someone’s food and you ask for the recipe and they tell you, oh a little this, a little that which really means, you can’t have it.

thecookieboss August 27, 2011 at 4:52 pm

I hope my heaven is like that. I share a lot of my baking secrets, which end up not being secrets anymore. But there are family baking secrets that I’m not supposed to share.

Nanny August 28, 2011 at 9:04 pm

I had your monkey bread for breakfast with my coffee and it was delicious, I’ll bet your cinnamon swirl bread is good too.

Made in Sonoma August 28, 2011 at 11:20 pm

@Nanny

Glad you liked it. I actually like it better than the cinnamon swirl bread. I plan on making more monkey bread when we got to Tahoe.

Katie August 29, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Oh it looks so delicious! I’ve heard so much about monkey bread, but never had it or made it. I need one of those springform pans, today, please!

Made in Sonoma August 29, 2011 at 1:58 pm

@Katie
I think it’s traditionally made in a bundt pan, so if you have one of those, you’re set! Or any 9″ cake pan would work too, I bet. 🙂

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) August 29, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Holy moly, this looks amazing! Of course, I think I can only attempt this if I have visitors, otherwise I’ll have it down the hatch by the end of the day 😉
YUM!

Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola August 29, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Oh my gosh- this looks absolutely incredible!!! I don’t know if I’ve ever even had monkey bread but now I know that I need to change that! And that’s a great idea about the heating pad! If I ever have tips to share I love to do so, that way we all can be successful in our ventures!

girl in the pink August 29, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Wow, this looks SO good! I am bookmarking this and saving it for a special occasion. I can’t make unless I have guests otherwise I will devour it haha

spinachandsprinkles August 30, 2011 at 2:42 am

OH goodness! This looks like a gooey dream! 🙂 Mmmmmm!!!
Using a heating pad sounds smart! I should do something like that! I made homemade pizza dough yesterday and it did not rise like I thought it should…. What a smartie you are!

David September 2, 2011 at 4:43 pm

OMG Wow, this was seriously AMAZING. Yes, I did say there’s no need to bake anything else, and I meant it! I can’t wait to have this again over my birthday weekend in Tahoe!!! 🙂

Kathryn @ Flopoodle September 4, 2011 at 1:20 am

Gosh that looks amazing! And it’s so pretty! I love breads that you can just pull pieces off without having to cut them with a knife.

Aunt Shellie September 4, 2011 at 3:36 am

I just got my computer back and let me tell you…i ate one out of the three you gave me and then forgot they were in my purse. 2 days later i found them and ate them…they were still Great! I can’t wait for Tahoe and more monkey bread…mmmmmmm good!

Made in Sonoma September 4, 2011 at 5:22 am

@Aunt Shellie
wow! And they were still good? I’m shocked!