Rhubarb on My Mind

by Kelli H. on June 2, 2011

Since I had rhubarb in my CSA bag, I had to find a way to use it.  I just wasn’t sure how I was going to since I’ve only eaten it once with a big dollop of vanilla ice cream on it in Mainz, Germany.  Which reminded me how much I liked it and then led me on a wild goose hunt to find a recipe that would work for me. I read about 15 recipes for rhubarb crisp and after looking over my pantry to see what I had on hand, I came up with this.

Here I am in Germany in June 2007 experiencing my first strawberry rhubarb dessert. I remember it being very tart.

This rhubarb is deliciously sweet without so much tang.  It’s still got a sour kick but it’s much more mild than the one I had in Germany.  I absolutely loved it and if I had a dollop of vanilla ice cream with it, I would have been in heaven.  As I was preparing the crisp, I tasted a piece of the rhubarb — it was incredibly sour! Now I know why everyone masks it with sugar to sweeten that sucker up.

Rhubarb Brown Sugar Crisp

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup flour
3/4 cup oats
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 t cinnamon
4 cups sliced rhubarb
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 T corn starch
1 cup water
1 t vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Combine brown sugar, flour, oats, and cinnamon in a bowl.  Slowly add in the melted butter and combine until crumbly.
3. In a saucepan over medium heat; combine sugar, corn starch, water, and vanilla.  Cook until liquid is transparent and has thickened.
4. Press half crumb mixture into the bottom of a pie plate or 8×8 baking dish.  Top with rhubarb; pour water and sugar mixture over rhubarb.  Sprinkle remaining crumbles over the top.  Bake for 45-50 minutes or until it is bubbling and browned on top.

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) June 2, 2011 at 12:26 pm

I was going to start my comment with how I’ve never tried a rhubarb, but would like to, but when I saw the picture of you in Germany I thought, I’ve been there!! Was it in Munich down a small side alley with adorable outdoor eating space?!

Made in Sonoma June 2, 2011 at 1:54 pm

@Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life)

No, it was in Mainz but that would have been awesome if we’d both been to the same place in Germany.

Janelle June 2, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Okay, I admit when I saw the rhubarb at the Farm stand as one of our picks, I was not exactly thrilled. I don’t remember ever eating it much less knowing what to do with it. Thank-you Kelli for letting me have a piece of this wonderful Crisp. I now can’t wait to go home tonight and make this dish with my beautiful rhubarb!

Allison @ PickyEatingRD June 2, 2011 at 7:23 pm

The last time I tried rhubarb I must have been about 10 years old and one of my friend’s moms had it in her garden. I think I need to bring it back into my life esp. after seeing this recipe!

Made in Sonoma June 3, 2011 at 1:35 am

@Allison @ PickyEatingRD

haha — then yes, you need to bring it back into your life.

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels June 3, 2011 at 3:24 pm

I love rhubarb but have yet to bake with it. This looks soooo good! 🙂

Made in Sonoma June 3, 2011 at 6:05 pm

@Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels
Thanks! You should try it soon!

lauri (RedHeadRecipes.com) June 3, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Hmmm… I don’t think I’ve ever had rhubarb! I should give it a try soon 🙂

David June 3, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Cool Germany picture! This Rhubarb Crisp was delish! …the end.