Jalapeno-Lime Slaw

by Kelli H. on June 30, 2011

Last week  in our CSA bag we received cabbage.  I thought about making cole slaw with it but I wasn’t sure what kind I’d like to make.  I also thought about making fish tacos but I knew I wouldn’t be able to use all the cabbage for fish tacos.  Luckily, I was picking out some new recipes to make from Cooking Light and came across this recipe.

This is perfect for people who love lime, cilantro, and jalapenos.
Who doesn’t love those flavors?!  I know I sure do!

This is a perfect summer recipe for barbeques or a side dish to some homemade Mexican food.  I’m having it along side some chicken tacos and I can’t wait.  You could also use it for pulled pork sliders.  I think it would be delicious on those as well.

Jalapeno-Lime Slaw
Adapted from Cooking Light July 2011

1/3 c fresh lime juice (about 2 large limes)
1 t sugar
3/4 t kosher salt
1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
3 T olive oil
1/2 c thinly sliced red onion
1/2 c coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
1 carrot, grated
1/2 head of green cabbage
4 jalapeno peppers, sliced

1.  Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.  Gradually add olive oil, stirring constantly.  Add to the bowl onion, cilantro, carrot, and cabbage.
2.  Thinly slice 1 jalapeno with seeds and add to bowl.  For the next 3 jalapenos take the seeds out by cutting them in half crosswise and using the back of a spoon to scrape/push out the seeds.  Slice the remaining 3 jalapenos and add to the bowl.  Cover and chill at least 1 hour before serving.

Are you a fan of spicy foods?
I totally am although my heat tolerance isn’t as high as I’d like it to be.  I try eating spicy foods anyway.

my little celebration June 30, 2011 at 1:01 pm

jalapeno, lime, cilantro? Yes yes and yes. Yummy recipe, friend!

Lauri (RedHeadRecipes) June 30, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I’m not a fan of spicey foods… But I am addicted to Sriracha sauce!! It’s my new crack sauce!

But I do LOVE anything with cilantro in it!

What's Cookin' with Mary? June 30, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Both my husband and I LOVE spicy foods. The hotter the better. I will say, I made a soup once with a whole habenero pepper (w. seeds) and it brought me to my knees. I was crying ‘tears of heat’. lol

Janet June 30, 2011 at 6:01 pm

I would love to see your mom eat this, ha ha
maybe I’ll try this recipe but I’m leaving the seeds out as it would be to hot even for me.

Cait's Plate June 30, 2011 at 6:17 pm

I love spicy foods and this looks AWESOME! I definitely want to try this out at some point this summer!

Made in Sonoma June 30, 2011 at 6:54 pm

@my little celebration Thanks, Friend!

Made in Sonoma June 30, 2011 at 6:55 pm

@Lauri (RedHeadRecipes)
I love sriacha too! Such a good flavor but yah, that is definitely spicy!

Made in Sonoma June 30, 2011 at 6:57 pm

@What’s Cookin’ with Mary?
So funny! I accidentally added a can of habenero peppers when I was about 16 to a chili recipe. It said 2 canned habenero peppers and I thought it said “2 cans”. That seemed like a bit much for me so I thought I was being conservative by only adding 1 can. LOL. Only my boyfriend could eat it and that was with a ton of sour cream.

Made in Sonoma June 30, 2011 at 6:57 pm

@Janet
Maybe it was just my jalapenos but it actually wasn’t too spicy. 🙂

amy @ fearless homemaker June 30, 2011 at 7:17 pm

stumbled across your blog while i was looking up jalapeno recipes – this looks great! + yes, i loooove spicy foods. i’m the crazy person who orders it ‘native thai’ spicy at thai restaurants. + i put sriracha on everything!

David June 30, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Wow, lots of people love spicy foods! I love spicy foods too. 🙂 This was a good recipe, and I recommend it. I’m also glad you are trying more spicy foods.

Made in Sonoma June 30, 2011 at 8:39 pm

@amy @ fearless homemaker
Wow, you really DO love spicy food! I’m glad you came across my blog. 🙂

mOm July 1, 2011 at 4:50 am

I think you mean you put a can of “chipotle” peppers rather than “habanero”. If you did that, you would have killed me. Although, the chipotle just about did it too. I think that was the hottest chile I had ever eaten ever and I will never forget it! or we will never let you forget it!
This coleslaw does sound good to me but I too, will leave out the seeds so not too hot.

Made in Sonoma July 1, 2011 at 1:45 pm

@mOm
haha, whoops! Yes, chipotle peppers not habaneros!

thecookieboss July 2, 2011 at 4:57 pm

That jalopeño-lime slaw looks really good!

I sometimes like mildly spicy things. But even mildly spicy will usually give me reflux.

Anonymous March 21, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Very good information. Lucky me I recently found your site by chance (stumbleupon).
I’ve saved it for later!

Here is my webpage coffee machine