I realize all my posts lately are vegetarian and I swear, I’m going to change it up next time. Although, I see nothing wrong with them. Tonight I made these vegetarian Black Bean Burgers. They are pretty tasty and probably my favorite bean based burger I’ve tried. I first made a bean burger in 2006 when Rachael Ray’s magazine published a chick pea burger. At the time, I was not impressed. I’ve since gone back and now really enjoy that recipe. But that’s for another post…I found this recipe on Cook Like a Champion and I’ve made it a few times over the past few months. It’s definitely a keeper but I have made some minor changes depending on what I have on hand at the time.
Black Bean Burgers
Adapted from Cook Like a Champion
2 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 small yellow onion, roughly chopped
1 carrot, roughly chopped
1 clove garlic
1 4oz can diced green chilies
1 t cumin
1 t smoked paprika
1 t sriacha or any type of hot sauce
1/4 c panko bread crumbs
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
2. Add onion, carrot, and garlic to food processor. Pulse to mince and combined well.
3. Transfer mixture to a fine mesh strainer and press to remove any excess liquid. Set aside.
4. In a medium bowl smash black beans with a potato masher or fork until beans are pasty. Add onion mixture and remaining ingredients. Mix well.
5. Form mixture into patties (should have enough for 6 to 8 depending on the size). Place on baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes or until edges are crispy.
6. Serve on thin buns and top with your favorite burger toppings.